cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what is the big deal about the S9+ Camera? Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

One thing that has always stood out for me with all Samsung devices is the quality of the camera. I have tried many different phones and each time I find myself migrating back to Samsung.

The S9+ has taken the Samsung to a whole new level of innovation with an industry first with its dual aperture f/1.5 and f/2.4. This lower f rating means more light able to fill the lens and in turn in theory better low light performance. Let’s face it, most flash pictures taken with a phone based camera are terrible so few people use them. This means that for a quality shot taken in low light, you need good performance that is flash free.

The S9+ also has built in a second camera lens that allows dual capture and a live focus option to give you a professional looking blur to the background of your shots. Live focus feature means that right on the screen you are able to adjust as you take the picture not only what is blurred but the level of effect as well.

This feature uses the phones “telephoto” lens so you will need to be 3 to 5 feet away from the object you want to capture and this works best outside with good lighting.

An easy thing to overlook when using the live focus feature is that the camera is actually taking two pictures at once. The picture defaults to the “close-up” using the telephoto lens and at the same time is taking a picture with the other “wide-angle” lens. Live focus is an option chosen through the camera menu which is found at the top of your screen when the camera is launched. 

After the picture is taken, is it possible to switch between the close up live focus view and a wider view. This can be done easily using a menu found in your phone gallery. This menu and the option to change views is not available for pictures uploaded to Google Photos.

Having moved to the S9+ from the V30+, I was excited to learn about this wide angle lens hoping there was a way to take wide angle only shots. Unfortunately, the wide angle referenced is only wide in comparison to the telephoto shot. Pictures taken using auto or other options are at the same angle. This means the other lens is not a true wide angle.

20180503_150813-COLLAGE.jpg"wide angle" vs telephoto

So, how does the phone actually perform in low light and using the live focus? I am going to have to so say--Fantastic! The file size and space limitations degrade the quality of my Community uploads but you will nonetheless get an idea from my examples how will the camera performs. So far I am very pleased. 20180427_202551-COLLAGE.jpg

20180424_123119-COLLAGE.jpg

If you would like to see more shots you can visit me on Instagram @davidnprogress

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

3 Comments
Sprint Leasing and Insurance

Amazing pictures and so very clear. Others with the fruit devices often comment and gasp at the clarity my Samsung device photos capture. Often I am asked to take the pic instead of using their devices. In fact the quality of lighting options aid in actually seeing the subjects' faces. 

Community Manager

David, I noticed some pics were of the Arts Festival, yet no food pics?  Methinks there is a cover-up!!! Smiley Very Happy

Sprint Product Ambassador

Great photos, thanks for sharing!