cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Quality and Effects with the LG G7 ThinQ – Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint Product Ambassador

Sound Quality and Effects with the LG G7 THinQ – Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sound.jpg

One thing that might be overshadowed a bit with the LG G7 ThinQ is the various audio options you get.  These are digital controls intended to make your music and movies sound their absolute best. LG has again done an excellent job making the sound crystal clear and with enough options to tweak everything above and beyond its dynamic range.  Adjusting these settings is super easy too.  First thing you need to remember is you have to be hardline connected.  So either connect those wired headphones or take that patch cable and plug direct into your stereo’s AUX jack.  Otherwise you’ll be stuck with your normal Bluetooth levels, which although passable, are nowhere near as sparkly as this Hi-Fi goodness you get with hardline.

So let’s go over the options:

4-01.jpg

Volume: is pretty self-explanatory.

Normalize Volume: This is very useful especially if you have a rather eccentric mix of music, and even more so if it spans a few decades. Have you ever noticed that older recordings are a bit softer than newer releases?  Well, times were different and vinyl was king so a lot of recordings were mixed with that in mind.  Normalize volume actively cuts and boosts volume to make one song comparable to the other.  That way you don’t have to manually adjust volume from song to song. Again this is super useful if your playlist is a mix of single songs and not full albums. This is low effort and just works.  However you may also notice a bit of compression (makes high frequencies not as high and low frequencies not as low) so keep that in mind, may not be ideal for all listeners.

Equalizer: LG gives you a nice 10-band Equalizer, giving cut and boost to frequencies between 32Hz and 16KHz.  You get a nice selection of preset levels for a diverse range of musical styles in addition to a custom level where you can adjust each of the frequencies individually (32Hz, 64Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz, 4KHz, 8KHz, 16KHz).  I like having the ability to adjust each level, especially when I’m doing things with my own MP3’s which can often be a single instrument or something I might be working on as part of a project.

4-02.jpg

External Audio: This category is the digital processing modes and are applied after the Equalizer.

DTS: X 3D Surround: I love this mode for watching movies.  There isn’t a lot of options but you can really open up a soundscape depending on which option you choose.   Your options are “Wide” which gives a typical surround sound, “Front” which gives the feeling that you are facing a pair of loudspeakers with nothing on any side of you and “Side to Side” which does exactly what you might expect, as if a loud speaker was directly on your left and right (with nothing facing your front or rear).  I find “Wide” and “Front” to be most comfortable for movies and not as much use for “Side to Side” in either music or movies.

Hi-Fi Quad DAC (Digital Audio Converter): Is intended to give a more analog feel to your music and can be used by itself of in addition to the Equalizer and/or X 3D Surround.  Enabling it will allow you to adjust balance of the left and/or right channels (but cutting volume on one or both speakers).  The “Sound Preset” is available only if you disable X 3D Surround.  You have options for “Normal”, “Enhanced”, “Detailed”, “Live” and “Bass”.  Generally I like to favor “Enhanced” but that certainly varies according to source material and where you have the Digital Filter.  The “Digital Filter” has three modes “Short”, “Sharp” and “Slow”.  For most music I find “Sharp” to sound best but for quick articulate music “Slow” sometimes better. 

4-03.jpg4-04.jpg

As with anything, opinions vary and each of these elements are a mere ingredient to the recipe of any soundscape.  So in other words, play around and see what sounds best to you.  The important thing is there’s more to life that Bluetooth and a simple aux cable can sometimes make music even better than before. Have fun explore and enjoy the good sounds that the LG G7 ThinQ can give you.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.