cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors Essentials PH-1: A Case of Anxiety

Sprint Product Ambassador

If you haven’t already performed a little research as a consumer there are very few case options for the Essential.  Why?  Good question and anything I would suggest would be pure speculation.  So enter case anxiety, will a naked device drop end your perfect device experience or cause an expensive repair?   Not likely but it can happen. . . .   So why do I have this opinion?  Largely because of the device build which is excellent.   Here are a few damage resistant features you should know about as you face the case dilemma: 

1. Titanium Frame-   High grade material use for the frame, lends to an incredibly rigid and sturdy feel.   You will not mistake it for plastic and due to titanium’s hardness it will withstand drops significantly better than alternative materials.   
  2. Corning Gorilla Glass 5-  The latest in Corning’s Gorilla glass line, Corning’s website states it is 4X better in drop failure vs. the competition and resists shoulder high drop damage onto hard surfaces up to 80% of the time. 
  3. Ceramic Back-   Rather than a glass back the Essential uses ceramic which proves to be a smart move.   I’ve read several independent articles and all have touted how well the ceramic stands up to scratch and drop test conditions.    My own unintentional “drop test” can vouch for these options, not even a scratch when making contact with concrete. 

Rock solid frame and damage resistant materials should ease your “case” of anxiety a bit but unfortunately I usually finding myself as an outlier.   Call it self-fulling prophecy,  a case of bad luck, karma or whatever but I did unfortunately crack my screen.   Not two minutes after I ordered a case I dropped the Essential on my driveway as I was exiting my vehicle.   For context this is not my first victim, I have extremely bad luck with the devices I am asked to be a Product Ambassador for.  Normally I order a case before I even get it in my hands but with the Essential I simply didn’t have that luxury.    The fall wasn’t high at 3-4 feet from the ground but it was on concrete which is rough on any device.   As advertised the frame and ceramic backing aren’t showing a single scratch, I somehow once again conquered the Gorilla.   If you are like me you might want to pull the trigger on the case I found below or a screen protector, good luck! 

Essential Case.jpg

Thanks,

Product Ambassador Team

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity