cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors – Google Pixel 3a XL first impression

Sprint Product Ambassador

Glad that Sprint is now offering customers to purchase or lease the Google Pixel 3 and 3a series.  This is also the first time that I can get my hands on a Google phone!

My first google phone is a 3a XL. The phone came in a very nice design box.  The back clearly boasts the camera lens which wants to show the high quality camera of the phone.

20190612_094905.jpgVery nice design box20190612_095004.jpg

The phone comes with a charger, a tool to open up the SIM card slot and a Quick Switch adaptor (special USB-C to USB adaptor).  I guess this is to attach an SDcard to transfer files to the phone which I will try later.

20190613_181002.jpg20190613_181029.jpgUSB-C to USB adaptor

The Pixel 3a XL comes with following specifications:

• 6" OLED FHD+ screen
  • 12,2 MP dual-pixel rear camera /f1.8 / OIS+EIS
  • 8 MP front selfie
  • 4GB of RAM
  • 64GB of storage (no external SDcard)
  • 3700mAh

At a retail price of $479, this is quite reasonable.  The body is Polycarbonate but feels quite sturdy in the hands.

The phone comes with google Pie Android OS, and like any other google phones, we can expect instant upgrade availability to new Android version as soon as it comes out.

Powering up the phone, the phone presents nice Google graphics:

20190613_182313.jpg20190613_182318.jpg

The phone has a SIM card slot but Sprint uses the e-SIM for the phone.  The activation is via a series of questions and answers process.

The User Interface is simpler compared to my experience with Samsung and LG UIs.  It did take me some little time to get familiar with the interface.  I restored the backup I had on my google account and selected all the standard apps.

The system runs pretty smoothly and I think more than adequate for most people's usage.

The camera itself has little gimmicks, like gesture selfie shot, or voice control. I actually will miss the ability to take a selfie using your hand gesture!

Taking a few test shots with the camera, I am pretty impressed, and will share some of the results here.

Once again, I am happy that Sprint is offering this choice to their customers and I hope that it will be a successful launch for the second half of 2019.

Enjoy & Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.