cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors – LG G8 ThinQ First Impressions

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG has been improving and put a lot of innovation into its phone each year.  This year is no exception. LG has delivered to the market the LG G8 ThinQ.  This phone is packed with new features and I am lucky to get hold of a device to use.

The first thing I noticed is the beautiful OLED screen when I first powered up the phone.  The device feels nicely in the hand.

20190528_134423.jpgVery clear and sharp screen with good color, nicely built!

Like the LG V40 that was delivered last year.  This phone also has 4 cameras: 2 rear cameras (wide and standard) and two cameras in the front (standard and zoom).

With the addition of the zoom lens to the front camera, the phone can take a selfie in portrait mode.  I usually do not post the photo of me in the blog, but this is an exception as the self portrait photo came out so nice: good blurry background and the skin tone is good:

20190501_115837.jpgGood portrait mode selfie, blurry backgroud and good color tone (sorry for the wrong orientation)

The device is packed with powerful hardware:

• Qualcomm snap dragon 855 octa core
  • 6GB of RAM, and 128GB ROM plus optional external SD Card for up to 2GB of additional storage
  • 35mW battery seems to be able to handle most people a full day’s usage

Apart from the standard features, LG G8 ThinQ has these extras:

• Hand ID: another phone security recognition using the camera to identify your palm veins. I tried this feature out and it works very well. Almost 100% recognition.  Trying with other hands would fail recognition.

• Air Motion: an interesting concept to interact with the phone. It requires some learning to get it to work. I have tried some methods with moderate success and hope to provide a write up in the future.
    One good feature is to use the hand gesture to take a selfie.  This has worked well, and in fact most of my friends are really surprised that we can take a selfie that way.

• Next level selfies: there are a lot of options and camera selfie. Above, I showed you a sample of a good selfie portrait that I took.

• Display speaker: the LG G8 screen also acts as the speaker. The sound is clear and very good to my ears.  I can feel the vibration on the screen when playing music.  However, I tried to put my hands on the screen, the sound is not damped down that much so I really do not know how it works.

• Style: the phone design is sweet. Comfortable to hold in the hand, good contour and edge to edge screen with a notch at the top for the front facing camera

It has been a fun few weeks so far, and please watch this space for more info…

Enjoy & Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

Errata fixed: change number of rear camera from 3 to 2! Sorry

Like the LG V40 that was delivered last year.  This phone also has 4 cameras: 2 rear cameras (wide and standard) and two cameras in the front (standard and zoom).