cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors LG V30+ Display Setting and Game Mode

Sprint Product Ambassador

The LG V30+ has an incredibly high video resolution, especially for such a compact device.  Using the default highest settings will use a bit more power than some lower settings.  Playing video games can really drain your battery faster because of the powerful graphics processor.  LG has a game mode whereby you can adjust graphics performance individually for each game.Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-29-36.png

To use this feature, you first have to ensure that display settings are configured at their highest resolution; I know, this might sound a little counter-intuitive, but stick with me, it will make sense in a minute.  You have a choice of three resolutions: “Low”, which is 1440x720, “Medium”, which is 2160x1080, Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-29-27.pngor “High”, which is 2880x1440.  Note that all three modes are at least HD or higher, and the phone still looks great even at the lowest setting.  For our purposes, let’s set it at “High”.  Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-29-32.pngCool.  Now, open a game.  If you want to follow along with me, install and open “Lara Croft Go”; (it’s a clever puzzle game that will drive you crazy at times). 

Look at your Android menu buttons on the right side of the screen.  You may have them hidden, and if that is the case, just slide your finger frogamepad.pngm the right side of the screen to the left.  Do you see the familiar triangle, circle, and square?  Look next to the triangle.  You should see a tiny icon that looks like a game controller.  It is an oval with a plus sign and four minuscule buttons. Click on the tiny game-pad.

Now, you should see four new icons on the left side of the screenScreenshot_2017-11-29-14-30-06.png

The first is “Take a break”.  This pauses the game, dims the screen, and slows the CPU until your press “Play”.

The second option reads, “Take a screenshot”, and does just that.  Cool!

The third icon reads: “Adjust game graphics”.  That’s the one we want.  Click on it.  Now, you can customize the resolution and frame rate for each game.  There are three options for resolution, and three for frame rate.  I can’t really advise what you should set these at, but if it is a simple game, set things lower.  You probably won’t see a negative impact on the game, and you will extend your battery between charges. 

Some games are super graphics intensive, and if you are playing one of those, just set everything high.  For Lara Croft Go, I set everything as low as it can go.  Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-30-17.pngReally, the graphics looks very slightly fuzzier, but it really wasn’t distracting.  I did notice a real lag on this game when the frame rate was anything but the fastest setting.  The game still worked, it’s just that poor Lara hesitated before making any move, and when she did move, it was at a geriatric pace.  Setting frame rate back to the fastest or highest setting allowed the game to run in the lowest graphics resolution, while still being fast and responsive.  Remember, the lowest resolution is still 720p, which is the same as many televisions, and even if you have an Ultra High Definition TV, many channels are still broadcasting in 720p anyway.  If 720p looks OK on a giant TV screen, it will be OK on your phone.  Like I said, each game is designed differently, and can be dialed in with different settings.  Save the graphics power for the games that needs it, dumb your phone down a little for simpler games.

OK, one last tweak.  Slide the Android menu up again, click on the game-pad.  The four options pop up on the left side of the screen again.  This time, let’s choose the fourth and final option, “Full Screen”.  Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-30-50.pngRemember, the screen on the V30+ is wider than normal, having a two to one ratio instead of the typical sixteen to nine ratio.  If you don’t choose full screen, you will have little black bars on the left and right side of your screen.  By going full screen, you eliminate the bars.  Some games natively support the higher resolution of the V30+, so they just use all the pixels, but if they don’t, going into full screen will very ever so slightly crop the top and bottom off of the game so to fill everything 100%.Screenshot_2017-11-29-14-32-46.png  It doesn’t bother me in Lara Croft Go, but it crops off too much for me in “WGT Golf”.  So, like I said, customize the options for each game individually.  Have fun playing games on the best phone of 2017!

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee