cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: LG V30+ Video Resolution Settings

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG V30 1.png

The LG V30 is the current flagship phone from LG, and the V30+ is their best version of it.  The screen is incredible; with a maximum screen resolution of 2880 by 1440, which is an aspect ratio of 18:9, wider than 16:9.  As a result, you get an super detailed screen with more than enough resolution for anything, (I actually have mine set to 2160 x 1080 to give me a bit more battery life).  This wider screen ratio allows for a larger viewing area while still having a phone that comfortably fits in any hand.  It's huge, but by no means overwhelming or comically large.  Naturally, this ratio is wider than HDTV format, and higher resolution too.  The absolute very best technology for televisions is not LCD, LED, or even plasma, but OLED, or organic light emitting diodes.  LCD and LED, (which are technically basically the same thing), use a matrix of clear colored pixels that are backlit via fluorescent lights, in the case of LCD, or LED lights in the case of LED, (but it’s still just a liquid crystal display).  Because you are back-lighting everything, including pixels that should be black, you end up with very dark grey instead of true black.  OLED is different in that each pixel emits its own light and color, so it can be infinitely more colorful and brighter, while having deep dark, true blacks.  It can also be more energy efficient.

Read any consumer magazine or review site and you will soon see a pattern, that the very best OLED panels on the market are manufactured and marketed by LG.  They are simply the cream of the crop.  LG is using its very own premium OLED panels in the V30+.  Words can’t really describe how vibrantly colorful this thing is.  I can post screenshots, but they will only look as good or as bad as whatever screen you are reading this on.  You really have to see this in person to see how cool this looks.  It is easily the best screen on an electronic device that I’ve ever seen.

Screenshot_2017-11-29-15-25-44.pngThe screen can be calibrated using one of several presets, or via a customizable mode.  It also includes the best versionScreenshot_2017-11-29-15-25-51.png yet of LG’s brilliant and very useful “Comfort View”, which safely blocks blue light from the phone after hours to facilitate proper melatonin production and absorption, which in turn leads to healthier sleep habits and prevents many forms of cancer.  Previous versions of this utility has cast a greenish light, which this uses the correct red-orange filter.  Brilliant!  This version also allows you to automatically schedule when the filter is applied.

Options exist in some applications to stretch video content to fill the wider than normal screen ratio, but this does seem to be a function built into some apps, rather than something LG provided.  LG has provided an option to hide the home buttons in some apps, but not every app is supported yet.  I was able to hide the home buttons in Hulu, but not in Netflix, however, Netflix already has an option to fill the screen, although with the home buttons still visible.  I hope that LG addresses this in a future update, but itScreenshot_2017-11-29-15-26-06.png is a minor annoyance.  Copyright restrictions prevented screenshots from while content was playing in these two apps.  Amazon Prime Video allowed full screen without the home buttons, and also allowed screenshots, so this is clearly app-dependent, and not something LG has any control over.

There are also some pretty cool fine-tuning settings for video games; more on that later..

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee