cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: LG V40 - The 800 Pound Notch in the Room

Sprint Product Ambassador

In a never-ending war to create thinner and thinner phones with thinner and thinner bezels, functionality and battery life have often been casualties.  In a battle for more screen real estate, Essential created the first smart phone with a notch, the PH1, and most brands followed suit.  The notch has been controversial and often called ugly.  I don’t mind if it means my notifications are up and away from my main screen.  LG first tried an alternative approach with the V10 and V20; they had a tiny second screen above the actual main screen.  The truth is, there are just certain pieces of hardware such as the front-facing camera, light sensor, proximity sensor, and the speaker for your ear that have to placed somewhere, and the top of the main screen seems to be the best place.  Moving clock, battery and other notification icons up and away from the main screen means that there will be a tiny area for camera, sensors, and earpiece, so a notch is the side effect.V40 Front.png

Sans Notch.jpgDo you think the notch is ugly?  The new LG V40 lets you turn it off so all the notification, clock and battery status icons can go back to the main screen if you like.  I often read books at night and have found that notifications can cause a slight screen burn-in that is only visible to me when using my screen in very dark situations, so having the tiny icons moved up on either side of a notch prevent this problem for me.  The V40 has such a tiny notch that I don’t find it obtrusive or ugly at all, and like everything else about the device seems to be optimized for ergonomics.

That’s the thing about good design; if it is done right, you don’t notice it.  When function is not sacrificed but still artfully blended with aesthetically pleasing design, lines tend to blur, and you find yourself just using it and not noticing it.  That being said, the V40 is a sleek looking device with a large screen that is somehow still compact enough to comfortably fit into any sized hand or pocket.  The buttons are placed exactly where they should be and the hand naturally falls right to them without conscious effort, so again, their thoughtful position can easily be overlooked.  You notice the loud, naughty, rumbustious child, but not the gentle one quietly reading in the corner.  LG continues its tradition of placing the fingerprint sensor on the back, and when you use this you wonder why anyone would put it anywhere else.  Also, it is the fastest and most accurate fingerprint sensor I’ve come across working every time without though or effort, just like the rest of the phone.  The V40 perfectly balances understatement and luxury.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee