cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors – LG V40 ThinQ Tripleshot camera feature

Sprint Product Ambassador

So, the phone is equipped with 3 camera lenses in the back:LGV405UAKIT_463x407_4.jpg

(image source: sprint.com)

Camera 1 (right): 12MP Standard (78-degree FOV), f/1.5

Camera 2 (center): 16MP Super wide (107-degree FOV), f/1.9

Camera 3 (left): 12MP 2X Zoom (47-degree FOV), f/2.4

The first thing I tried after power up the camera and went through the usual basic phone setup is insert an SDcard and switch on the camera. Voila, I see the “Tripleshot” writing on the (rear) camera. Selecting “Tripleshot” the word is highlighted in yellow. Click.  You will see some indication that the camera is taking the wide, standard then zoom shot.  After that you have to wait for a little while as the phone is trying to produce a video file with 3 shots stitched together.

If you use the LG Gallery stock app, you will see 4 icons: 1 video and 3 shots.  If you view the still photos, you will realize that you do not have the option to delete the photo.  You can only see that option after you delete the video item.

Here are a sample of the first tripleshot I took:20181031_111304.jpgtripleshot - super wide

20181031_111305.jpgtriplrshot - standard

20181031_111306.jpgtripleshot - zoom

The color looks a bit flat, so I took a single shot of the same scene using the standard camera:

20181031_111400_HDR.jpgtaken with the standard camera

The color of this latter shot is much more vibrant than the one taken via tripleshot!  This is somewhat disappointed.  However, this is more of a software issue.  I hope LG will provide a fix for this tripleshot feature so that the photos from a tripleshot capture is equivalent to the single shot quality.

One thing it is hard to find in the documentation is that, in rear camera screen, if you hold one of the icon representing, super wide, standard or zoom shot, then a preview of 3 frames representing super wide, standard and zoom will be displayed on the screen.  You may also find this tip useful.

Enjoy & Bye for now.

Your Sprint Product Ambassador*

Hung Bui

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.