cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Motorola Z3 Play Camera Quality

Sprint Product Ambassador

There isn't a lot of room left for a high end device to thrive, so Lenovo decided to let their Motorola Z3 have a little more room in the mid-range market.  I have to say, this doesn't look or feel like any mid-range phone I've ever seen or held.  It's metal, it's slick, and it would probably break something if used as a projectile.  Somehow I think this phone would survive that launch unscathed, but this is about the camera, or cameras on the back of the phone.  I'm not a selfie guy and haven't even used the front one yet, but if it is half as good as the back camera, it will be great.

I've used entry-level phones from Moto before, and while the photos were detailed and sharp, the color was a little off.  Not so with this one.  Photos look fine just as taken with little to no need to further tweak them in Photoshop or Perfectly Clear.  That didn't stop me from tweaking anyway.  The black and white photos below were converted in GIMP not due to any deficiencies from the camera, but from the photographer and subject.  The branches and twigs were so distracting that I wasn't sure what to focus on, but everything kind of popped when I converted it to black and white.

I'm impressed that you can get such a nice camera from a $500 phone.

IMG_20180820_184600993_HDR.jpgIMG_20180820_182947112.jpgClick on photos to zoom in.
IMG_20180820_182751506_HDR.jpgEdited to raise shadow detail and saturation.IMG_20180820_182426935.jpgIMG_20180813_183705314.jpgThis swan just wanted to hang out near me. The sun was low in the sky, so the birds were backlit and were mostly silhouettes, yet the image had enough shadow detail that I was able to pull color out from the feathers and from the grass.IMG_20180820_184724335_HDR.jpgUnedited photo except for resolution reduction for web.IMG_20180820_183725960.jpgIMG_20180820_182724199.jpgUnedited photo except for resolution reduction for web.

IMG_20180808_190612440_HDR.jpgPSX_20180808_234408.jpg 

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that loves technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions about these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

Mike - cool photos... thanks for sharing