cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Samsung Galaxy S8 Active's Mobile HDR Premium Video

Sprint Product Ambassador

Galaxy-S8_2-750x500.jpg

The jump in screen resolution from HDTV to UHD is not as dramatic to me as the additional improvement in shadow detail, contrast, dynamic range, and realistic color saturation that HDR or High Dynamic Range video adds.  Content is available in two formats for home televisions; the open-source 10-bit HDR 10, and the less common but technically superior 12 bit Dolby Vision.  Dolby Vision is backwards compatible with sets that can only display HDR 10, but the signal is downgraded to 10 bit.

Samsung’s Galaxy S8 Active support a new standard called Mobile HDR Premium. I don’t subscribe to HDR content with Netflix, and I’m not sure that HDR support for mobile devices is provided by Netflix yet, but I was able to enjoy HDR video from Amazon Prime Video.  YouTube is also a good source of UHD videos with HDR.

The video looks astonishingly realistic.  Colors are bold, but natural.  Everything just looks as good as it does in real life.  I took a few screenshots, but the screenshots were saved in png format and immediately lost much of their detail.  I downloaded them to my PC to crop the black edges off, (remember, the S8 Active has an unusually wide screen, wider than 16:9).  I made no other adjustments.  The screenshots look bland on my laptop compared to how they actually look on the S8.

First up, here are a few shots from Amazon’s original series, “The Grand Tour”.  This show features the former hosts and producer from the BBC’s Top Gear glory years.

Screenshot_20170707-144752.pngScreenshot_20170707-144938.pngScreenshot_20170707-144900.png

Next are a couple of screen grabs from an upcoming Amazon original, “The Tick”.  This version is the best yet, better than the original comic books, animated series, or short-lived Fox series.Screenshot_20170707-145544.pngScreenshot_20170707-145610.pngScreenshot_20170707-145628.png

Amazon Prime video requires an Amazon Prime membership, which normally requires a once annual payment, however Sprint customers can add and Amazon Prime membership to their monthly phone bill to get all the features and benefits for only $12.99 a month.  Besides free two-day shipping on any item marked “Prime”, you also get Prime Music, Prime Photos with unlimited photo storage, many apps and games for your Galaxy S8 Active at no charge, including free micro-transactions, Prime Reading and access to Kindle Owner’s lending Library, plus early access to Lightning Deals.  You can get more details from here.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee