cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stylo 3 Pen Pop: Gimmick Or Solid Feature?

Sprint Product Ambassador

One of the main selling points of the LG Stylo 3 is the embedded stylus pen and dedicated software. In a mid range phone, added features like these can be hard to come by but just how good is the stylus and what features are part of it? Being a natural skeptic, I put the stylus pen and its software through it’s paces. here’s what I found.

Hardware

On the hardware side, LG has gone with a thin, lightweight design for the Stylus pen. I found that it fit comfortably in my hand and was very responsive to changes in pressure when used on the screen. When not in use, the Stylus pen is embedded in the top right hand corner of the phone and the top of the stylus is made to look like it is part of the aluminum strip that is on both sides of the phone. A small touch, but I love LG’s decision to have the stylus blend seamlessly into the phone. Lastly, if you set the pen down and walk away with the phone, you’ll get a nice pop up reminder. I do this frequently so having this reminder helps keep me from losing the pen. Having used other stylus embedded devices in the past, i’m pretty happy with LG’s design.

Software

QuickMemo+

PenPop4.pngEver been somewhere and found yourself needing a way to write down a phone number or address but don’t have the means to do so? The Stylo 3 aims to change that with the Quick Memo feature. No need to unlock your phone and access an app, simply remove the stylus pen while the phone is asleep and a memo pad quickly opens, allowing you to jot down what you need and then save it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve used this to take quick, simple notes for things I would normally have forgotten about in the past. 

Pop Memo

PenPop3.pngSimilar to Quick Memo, when you have your phone unlocked and are using it, you can remove the Stylus and a small memo pad opens up on top of whatever application you may be using at the time. The pad can be moved around, resized, made transparent and shared to other applications. The Pop Memo is perfect for those times when you are on the phone and need to write something down but didn’t have the means to previously.

Capture+

PenPop2.pngThe best way to describe Capture+ is take a picture and scribble silly stuff all over it. Seems simple enough, but it comes loaded with several features such as adding text to a picture, multiple pen styles ranging from a ballpoint pen to a paintbrush. You have complete control over the color, line size and transparency. Lastly, if you want to capture a small portion of the picture, you can use the one of several crop tools to accomplish this. All in all a solid feature.

Pop Scanner
One of the neatest features of the LG Stylo 3 has to be the Pop Scanner. I initially thought this feature was going to be little more than a gimmick-- something that I would hardly use-- however I have found this to be the opposite. What is the Pop Scanner and what does it do? Simply put, it allows you to take a picture of an object at an angle, crop that object out of its surroundings and then the phone will turn the object into a flat, scanned image. I've used it over and over, testing various angles and received pretty good results each time. But, like all things, there are some limitations.

PenPop5.png    PenPop6.png

First, you can only crop the object using a square like grid. While this can be manipulated into shapes like a trapezoid, rectangle or a triangle, it would have been nice to have the option to select something like a circle. Second, picture clarity and focus varied at times depending on the angle and distance of the camera in relation to the object. The less extreme the angle, the more in focus my images tended to be. Speaking of extreme angles, I found that some extreme angles had the effect of reversing the image making it appear backwards. As for its uses, I found it to be handy to have whenever working with an object like a business card. Instead of having to carry them around which usually results in them being lost, now I can scan them and save them to my Google Drive. Overall a nice, solid feature with lots of practical uses.

Pen Pop Shortcut

PenPop1.pngLastly, I really like the feature which allows me to add an app shortcut in the Pen Pop menu. Just click the ‘+’ symbol, select the app you want and it will now be a shortcut every time you access the Pen Pop menu. While I like the overall idea of being able access apps that integrate well with the stylus pen, I was disappointed in LG’s decision to only allow one shortcut at a time. Hopefully this will be something expanded in a future release by LG.

I was skeptical that the stylus, thinking that it would be little more than a gimmick. Having used it now for a few weeks, I can safely say that is not the case. LG has delivered a solid feature that will give its users many practical uses. If you’ve been on the fence about the Stylo 3 or trying to decide on a mid range device, try giving the Stylo 3 a shot. You won't be disappointed.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

2 Comments
Journeyman

When I select capture+ on any screen it just brings up a solid color "notepad" screen with note taking and sharing options and doesn't snapshot my screen so I can write on a pic. That feature has never worked and I can't find any info on how to fix it. 😔 Any ideas?

Community Manager

Yeah, my mom has this phone and had the same problem.  I was about to fix it by clearing data in the QuickMemo+ app.  You go to settings, application manager, QuickMemo+, clear data.