cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Alcatel Go Flip – The 21st century Luddites ideal phone choice!

Sprint Product Ambassador

I haven’t owned a flip phone since 2010 but was always a fan of them.  If a great smartphone came out in that form factor, I’d be onboard.  Imagine my enthusiasm when I obtained an Alcatel Go Flip and was transported back to my fondest memories of flipping my cell phone out like a gunslinger.  I’ve even considered getting a belt clip holster again to add to the effect… although I don’t see anyone wearing a phone on their hip anymore.  Was I off base with that fashion trend back in the “aughts?”

See attached photo for me wearing a flip phone on a belt holster on the day I was engaged! 

Let’s talk about this phone.  Where your traditional Android or iOS device is a computer first and a phone second, this goes back to being an appropriate device for those who want a phone first and a computer second.  It’s as if the phones from the prior decade continued to get iteratively better in a linear path without the disruption caused by Android and iOS Smartphones.  It is in fact much better than any flip phone I previously owned, and I owned many.  If you are someone who seeks to have a functioning phone, but every once in a while might need to do minor internet browsing, music listening, texting, and email… this phone may be a great choice for you.

The phone feels great in the hand.  It’s slick but not slippery and flips open with the right amount of ease, but not so much that it flings open unexpectedly.  It reminds me a lot of the LG Chocolate 3 in terms of the deep black and form factor.    I really enjoyed using it as a phone with clear sound and the perfect phone to head feel.  I’ve never fully embraced the smartphone bar as an ideal “phone” shape.  It always feels slightly like you are picking up a small computer monitor and holding it to your face…. I also thought the speakerphone was adequate for the tests that I did with it.

The other features of the phone have to be taken with the right perspective.  Again, this could be a very glass half full/glass half empty scenario depending on what you think of it.  As an example, the phone has a 2 megapixel camera.  This likely evokes reactions like “It only has a 2 megapixel camera!” … or “this flip phone actually has a 2MP camera!”  It all depends on how you look at it and who you are.

The 2MP camera is fine for many applications.  Most smartphones today only have a 2MP front facing camera anyway, however, this isn’t really the type of phone you’ll be using to snap selfies.  The photos I took with it were about on par with any other recent front facing camera, albeit not the latest topline smartphones.

There’s no app store on the phone so you currently can’t really use it for Instagram, snapchat, or similar photo heavy uses.  The biggest challenge this presents to me personally is the need for the occasional navigation.  You can access google maps on it via the internet but a turn by turn navigation prompt isn’t currently available (however, I’ve heard that it is in the works).

The internet is super snappy with Sprint’s super-fast LTE network.  I found both the browser itself and the page loads to be very responsive… much more than anything I experienced in a phone around 2010.  Again, without an app store, you are dependent on the browser for most of your advanced phone features.  So it’s great that this browser is snappy. 

The phone includes both a mp3 player and a FM player, which I found very usable and enjoyable for the occasional music listening.  The FM signal seemed to be very dependent on the headset I was using.  On one headset, only about 3 stations came in, where on another headset, it seemed like I could find well over a dozen.

Texting was fun as the phone defaulted to t9 text entry (my preferred dial keyboard method), which is the predictive typing where you push the keys for the word you are trying to spell and it either predicts what you are trying to spell or you can hit next until the right word is found.  You can also do the standard 3 tap method but I’m a T9er all the way! 

The phone supports many email platforms but not all, and some require more advanced user setup steps in order to work.  (Keep this in mind as you may have to work at it a bit to get your personal email to load).  I’d say it’s fine for occasionally reading an email here or there but email would never be a primary use of this device.

So I love many things about this phone; mostly that it takes me back to a simpler time, yet accommodates many modern needs.  For those who don’t want a full blown smartphone, it’s a terrific choice.  For those looking to step back a bit from the entourage of notifications, social media connectivity, and always on utility, yet still have access to modern technological indulgences in a pinch… this is also a great choice.

The Luddite side of me desires this phone like a new present on Christmas.  It could have so many positive impacts on my always connected lifestyle that I may just have to make the shift back to a flip phone.  Plus, the flip phone quick draw just feels right… I ultimately don’t have a very Luddite side of me though.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.”