cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Blackberry KEYone is different and different is good: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

I am now a little more than a week into my BlackBerry experience and here are my top best impressions on the device so far.

20170827_191819-COLLAGE (1).jpgKeyboard is back!

The Keyboard

Of course, you can’t talk about this device without discussing the keyboard experience. Thought keyboards were dead? The KEYone is proving there is a market for the tactile experience of using a device based keyboard. I was a little apprehensive about what the transition would be like and admit that is is taking me a little time to get used to the physical keys over virtual. Really the change is more similar to any keyboard change as I am working to learn the various steps for things like capitalization, finding symbols, and word suggestions.

My favorite aspects of the keyboard experience so far have been the feel of the keys, the ease of the spacebar as a fingerprint sensor, and the really cool function of the keyboard for swiping to move screens. I plan to wait at least a couple of weeks before a real review of my keyboard experience so come back for that.

The device build

Make no mistake about it, the KEYone is a stand out device. It feels very solid in the hand with a weight that is just right. After the all glass feel of the Galaxy S8, it is nice to have a device with a back that has some texture to it. The faux leather is classy looking and more importantly provides some protection from accidental slippage from the hand. I do still recommend a case for best protection and have purchased one that is clear so I can keep that classy back in full view.

It is a minor thing but I am working to get used to the power button being on the left side of the device. My tendency to use press the convenience key on the right side just out of old habits.

The battery

The 3,505 mAH battery combined with the mid-level 625 octa-core chip is working just as I had hoped to get me completely through the day with juice to spare. As a power user, this is important to me. Sure, I own a small fleet of external batteries but who wants the hassle of having to plug in mid-day or right as you transition to evening life for a boost.  I am always on and expect my device to match my ambitions.

The screen

Let’s face it, there is no getting around that gain the keyboard there is something that has to go. That something for this device is screen real estate with basically a 4th of the phone lost. A small screen without a doubt is a let down if moving from anything larger and if wanting to dive into a multimedia experience. The KEYone makes no pretense to be a gamer or a Netflix bingers go to. If that is your deal, there is nothing to see for you and move along.

The KEYone is built for business and for getting things done. I feel more productive already.

Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee