cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Essential 4 Week Challenge

Sprint Product Ambassador

The Essential 4 Week Challenge

It’s been four weeks since I first held the Essential phone and was introduced to its beautiful infinity screen. Now after using it for four weeks as my primary phone, the honeymoon phase is over and I can provide you with my list of pros and cons to help you determine if this is the best phone for you.

Pros:

1. Style: I think the Essential phone is still the sexiest phone on the market right now; yes, even sexier than the new iPhone X. The way that the gorilla glass, titanium, and ceramic back all come together is a work of art. I also love that it is understated without any logos or markings on it.
  2. Unique: When everyone has an iPhone or Galaxy, it’s nice to have a high-end phone that is different and stands out.
  3. Feel:  I love the feel of it in my hands. The ceramic back and glass front provides a very elegant feel and weighing in at 6.53 ounces it feels more substantial and solid than my last few phones.
  4. Size: Utilizing the full infinity screen, the 5.57 X 2.8 device fits in my hands better. I am able to navigate one handed more easily, and it fits in my pockets better. It’s nice not having to stand up in order to get the phone out of my front pocket.   
  5. Screen: The infinity screen really makes this phone stand out. With 16 million colors, the screen beautifully displays my favorite movies, family conversations on Marco Polo, and my latest mountain biking pictures surrounded by fall colors. The screen was also very responsive and intuitive running on the pure Android platform.
  6. Battery: The battery is a full day battery. Even with heavy use, I was able to make it all day on one charge. A nice bonus is the high-speed plug that comes with the phone that charges the phone impressively fast.
  7. No Bloatware: I love that the Essential phone doesn’t come pre-loaded with all the apps and software that I will never use. I don’t need more apps hogging up my memory and causing my phone to slow down as they run in the background.
  8. Responsive Company: Essential has been listening to the feedback and improving their phone with products build. One of the big concerns with the device when it launched was the camera. It did not take good pictures with low light, and it was a little slow. These fixes have already been implemented in their product builds just a couple weeks after it was brought to their attention.
  9. Finger Scanner: The finger scanner works great on the Essential phone. I like the location on the back of the phone. My finger automatically falls into the scanner to provide a quick and seamless experience. The scanner worked most of the time on the first try unless my finger was wet.
  10. Memory: What’s not to like about having 128 GB of storage?

Cons:

1. Not water resistant. This is not a deal breaker for me, but it does provide a little more comfort knowing your device is water resistant.
  2. No headphone Jack: Initially I thought this was a bigger deal than it was. Essential provides an adapter that I keep on my headphones so I haven’t experienced any negative side effects from not having a headphone jack.
  3. Camera App: The camera app has been improved, but it is still a little bare bones. I recommend downloading another camera app to provide more functionality.

Conclusion:

This is a great phone if you are looking to break out of the Apple and Galaxy strong hold and be unique. This device stands out in style and provides a pure Android experience without all of the bloatware. The infinity screen delivers a beautiful large screen on a device that fits comfortably in your hands. Unless you plan on dropping your device in the toilet, I highly recommend the Essential PH-1.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee