cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Themed Beauty - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Recently, manufacturers have been baking the ability to theme your phone directly into the software. Not all phones support this and not all theming subsystems are made the same.

Shortly after booting up my LG G8 ThinQ, I realized that it came with a theming subsystem. I looked around their theme store and saw some things I liked. I applied one of their dark themes and it looked great. All this was happening shortly after set up so many of my apps were still installing so I went to the Play Store to check the status of the installations. Let me pause here to say that LG's phone transfer software is amazing. I didn't have to go and tell it to install anything from the Play Store. The phone already knew which apps to install and even brought over my data for some of my apps.

Anyhow, I digress. I went to check on my installing apps and saw that a half a dozen were still downloading. Wanting to kill some time, I decided to see if, unlike most other phones I've owned, there were LG G8 ThinQ compatible themes on the Play Store. There were. In fact, there were some pretty awesome one.

I ended up with this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.theme.markbencze.pixel.experience.dark.geight

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.50.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.50.38 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.50.46 AM.png

(Images are sourced from the Play Store entry linked above.)

Talk about eye candy. I know, I know. Not everyone likes dark themes. I like them because they're easier on my eyes at night and because I just like dark themes. There's also something to be said about how they theoretically use up a little less power on OLED displays.

Random lesson time:

The way that LED displays work:

For each black LED pixel, the pixel has to actively block the light coming from behind it from reaching you and thus using power to both power the light and the darkening of the pixel.

The way that OLED displays work:

Each OLED pixel is its own light source. As there is nothing to block, the darker the color, the less power has to be put into the pixel.

The Android developers themselves have looked into this and concluded that:

At 50% brightness, the new Dark Mode interface in the YouTube app saves a little under 15% screen energy when using blacks and muted grays over a flat white background. At 100% screen brightness, the dark interface is saving a whopping 60% of screen energy.

(Source: https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/google-wants-more-battery-saving-dark-mode-options-in-its-apps/)

That being said, dark themes isn't everyone's cup of tea. If that includes you, the theme author also has a light version of the theme: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lge.theme.markbencze.pixel.experience.geight

While neither theme is free, I really love the way they look. My LG G8 ThinQ looks gorgeous.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Links to external vendors not sponsored by Sprint, nor endorsed by Sprint.  No compensation was received for any external content or downloads.