cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the Next Level of WiFi Calling with Samsung Galaxy S8 Active - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Using the Next Level of WiFi Calling with Samsung Galaxy S8 Active - Sprint Product Ambassadors

WiFi.jpg

WiFi calling is something special. It’s because of this, that I tend to gravitate towards devices that showcase WiFi Calling as a feature.  The Galaxy S8 Active, is one such device (that features WiFi calling) but also has something beyond the standard features. Curious?  Well read on.

If you are familiar with past devices (that use WiFi Calling), you’ll notice the S8 Active has an icon labeled “Calling Plus”.  This is located where the standard “WiFi Calling” icon should be.  What is this?  Well first of all, “Don’t Panic” Wi-Fi Calling is still there and just as awesome as it ever was.  However now, you get it bundled with Sprint’s new LTE Calling feature (which has some equally attractive features).

Why use LTE Calling?

As the name would suggest, LTE Calling uses a LTE data signal to send and receive voice calls.  It does so in the same kind way that WiFi calling does but uses the cellular signal instead.  Both LTE Calling and WiFi Calling can be enabled either independently or at the same time for maximum connectivity.

The best advantage of LTE Calling is you now can use apps or web browsing while engaged on a voice call.  You no longer have to end a call to look something up online and since your apps and LTE calling are both using LTE data, you can now juggle things completely uninterrupted.

I love this when talking on the phone and needing to look up an address, show time or other information that’s typically needed right there on the spot.

Reason for using both services:

If you typically use WiFi Calling to strengthen the signal indoors.   You can activate both services (WiFi Calling and LTE Calling) to create redundancy and provide a seamless experience.  You are no longer tied to your router.   Don’t worry about dropping a call when you walk outside.  No need to terminate your call and restart.  Your call should transition on the fly from WiFi to LTE.

Why to only use WiFi Calling Only:

If LTE signal ever becomes an issue, you don’t have to use LTE Calling.  If you prefer, you just enable WiFi calling only.

A good example when I only use WiFi calling is when I’m on vacation visiting family.

My sister’s home (which I visit every year) is a rural place in the great North.   Cell signal from all providers are either non-existent or spotty.  At her home, WiFi calling is a life saver for supplementing my signal and I really don’t want to risk calls walking outside.  Especially with mountains and hills all proving to be natural obstructions it’s a game, finding the right spot to find a stable enough signal.  So, WiFi calling is all I want on this occasion. Whether I have LTE Calling on or off, won’t matter but for duration of my stay I generally won’t turn it on at all (due to the LTE quality differing greatly with elevation and voice remaining much more stable).

Regardless of circumstance, I love having tools and options. The Galaxy S8 has all the cards on the table.  Pick and choose what you need, right when you need it.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.