cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARP POWER! Taking Quick Charging to Lightspeed on ONEPLUS 7 Pro - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

01_Title.jpg

WARP POWER!  Taking Quick Charging to Lightspeed on ONEPLUS 7 Pro

So one thing I’ve grown to appreciate is having a charger that is always much better than the last one.  We started with normal USB powered charging (500mA), then quickly upped the amps (1A) to give us rapid charging, only later to split voltages and allow for Qualcomm Quick Charge to take us through further variations (2.0, 3.0, 4.0).  So, now with the OnePlus 7 Pro you get something new and appears to be a OneTouch exclusive method called “WARP Charge” or “WARP Charge 30” as it says on the new AC Adapter.  We all have questions.   What is it?  Do I need a fleet of new charges?   What are the advantages?

20190822_120210.jpg

Well first of all, the 30 in “WARP Charge 30” means 30 Watts apparently and if you flip the power brick over you’ll see two outputs listed of 5 Volts at 2 Amps and then 5 Volts 6 Amps for “WARP Charge 30”.  The size of this brick is pretty beefy.  It spared no expense in terms of size and durability.  To put the current draw in perspective you will very seldom see any DC Power brick above 3 Amps, regardless of Voltage.  The provided USB-C cable looks stylish with a red and white color scheme but don’t excuse this for just another cable, both the original power brick and USB-C cable appear needed to jump to “WARP Charge” mode.

20190822_120335.jpg

Ok all that aside, what is it exactly?  Well, WARP Charge 30 is a promise to take a dead battery up to 50% in 20 mins and a full charge in just about 1 hour.  That’s what I’m talking about!  Especially when time matters, I have not seen anything get you back up and running faster.   

So what’s needed?  Well the included “WARP Charge 30” Adapter and Special Red/White USB cable are both included.  That is your “WARP Charge 30” package.  They are both required. If you use a standard USB-C cable with the WARP Charge 30 brick it was charge normally (2A) or if you use the Red/White USB cable with a different USB Charger or Port, you’ll only get the rated current of the port. Use them together and you see you charge icon quickly switch to this:

20190822_131148.jpg

Indicating WARP Charge is engaged.

Do you need a fleet of new chargers?  Not really as the OnePlus 7 Pro works just fine with all chargers including Qualcomm Quick charge variants but I certainly wouldn’t turn down opportunities to buy additional WARP Charge 30 adapters if you can find them.  The main advantages are speed.  As for myself, I take comfort in this.  Currently I’m writing this on the brink of Hurricane Dorian passing by and if my last experience with Hurricane Irma taught me anything, you value power, time and air conditioning more than ever before.  Also when there are lines down, even a generator will only take you so far.  A one hour full charge is a very good thing and something I’m glad to have in my corner. 

What do you think?  Is WARP Charging enough to make you look at the OneTouch 7 Pro 5G?  Need more?  Keep reading my blogs spotlighting more great features from the new phone in Red.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

1 Comment

Yup - watts equals volts times amps, so 5 volts at 6 (!) amps is 30 watts.  I wonder what long term use of Warp Charge will do for battery life?  It sure is handy though!