cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterproofy – Tips for your WET Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

So you’ve got the Samsung Galaxy S8+.  It’s THE super phone of our time right now. 

HD screen with curved edges.

Extended/longer screen, for a better feel.

Super huge battery for longer daily usage limits, even with all of your extra apps you love to use.

IP-68 rated waterproof!  YES!  NO MORE PINK TABS ON MY BATTERY! I CAN WALK IN THE RAIN AND NOT BE WORRIED! Can’t I?

Kinda…

When I arrived at Boy Scout Summer Camp, I had ONE job, which was to bring the nice weather.  Unfortunately, I didn’t do a very good job with that request, and it rained for most of the time that I was in camp.  Knowing that my Galaxy S8+ was IP-68 rated, I knew that it should resist getting caught in the rain, which we did.  Having gone through a horrible experience with a “sport” phone which was not properly sealed, I am hesitant to pull the trigger on underwater pix or taking the phone in swimming holes ala GoPro camera.  All the same, it was in my pocket for most of the day as we hiked around camp in the pouring rain.  After the weather cleared a bit, we trekked over to a nearby swim hole to cool off at the end of the day.  So my phone was in a wet pocket pretty much all day, and even though I didn’t actually go swimming in it, I did have it out in the rain, taking pix and vids of the intrepid boys trudging through the mud.

Finally, after I had changed clothes and was settling down for the night, I plugged in to my standalone battery charger, and I got a nifty little Android message that “Android detected moisture in my USB charging port…”.  The extended message mentions that I should let the phone dry completely before trying to charge it.

Drying completely took a LONG time, especially as it was hot and humid.  Unfortunately, as I didn’t plan for it to get wet, I was down to 8% by Saturday morning as we left camp, and I was forced in to sending messages to my wife as well as letting the rest of the leaders and attending parents know that my phone was not charging due to moisture, and that I may not have GPS to get home.

Of course, no sooner did I get in the car to leave camp, then it started to charge again.  Maybe it was because I rebooted after being plugged in to the charger… and that cleared the message?  Maybe it just got dry enough?  Maybe there was something on the port that indicated it was still wet.  Regardless, it started to charge correctly again.

A couple of things I did to “clear” the error message.

• Rebooted the phone. Sometimes that’s all it takes is a reboot.
  • Removed the cover. If the cover is nice and snug, and holds moisture in or close to a speaker or audio or power port, then keeping the cover on may unknowingly maintain a layer of moisture underneath the cover that doesn’t allow the phone to dry.
  • Sat it under the heater/AC fan in my car. Not sure if this helped, but the moisture cleared after about 16 hours.

My advice to you:

• If you can use a wireless charging station, it will help you avoid using the USB port.
  • If you can keep raw/dry rice around, this helps a device dry quicker.
  • Don’t get stuck in this situation in the first place. Put the phone in a sealable plastic bag so it doesn’t get wet. Be prepared…
  • Be patient. It will clear, so long as you didn’t go scuba diving with it.  I think it’s supposed to be good up to 3 meters, so keep that in mind if you jump in the pool.

But the #1 piece of advice that I can give you is… keep it AWAY from water.  Better safe than sorry.  It’s comforting to know that my phone recovered from a pretty significant patch of storms and rain, but It’s not something that I want to continually subject my handset to if I can avoid it.

S