cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What no SIM card? Activating the Google Pixel 3a: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Opening the new phone box, taking a tour of features and specs is a lot of fun but after the moment has passed it is then time to activate. Over the years I have experienced swapping to a new phone many times with varying results. First, there is angst of the ESN swap. The numbers needed for this are typically found on the device box and for my 50+-year-old eyes are super tiny. I have struggled many times to correctly view these even with my fancy $3 reader glasses and use of tech to take a pic of the box and expand the view. #oldmanproblems

Next, there is the hassle of re-loading my favorite APPs while also losing current text conversations and recent pictures. Sure, cloud backup has solved most of these problems but it still seems to have been a challenge with my last view phones. In some ways, I do not mind starting over as it gives me a good chance to cull out apps that I do not use. 

I was very surprised when I learned the Google Pixel 3a does not require a SIM card to activate on the Sprint network. What? Everything old is now new once again. I was also intrigued to learn that included in the box was quick switch adaptor to aid in the device data transfer. 

What is an eSIM? 

The well known SIM card is a small plastic card that requires a tray, a port and the ability to be removed. This uses up some valuable space and allows for the opportunity for it to have corruption as well as other issues. The eSIM is, as you might guess, electronic with everything being handled through software and a super tiny chip that is embedded into the device. If you think about it, the SIM card seems a little archaic since these have been around for a very long time and who wants to worry about this when swapping.

What about the activation experience? 

Well, I am glad you asked!  I was nervous about how this was going to work so have fired up the camera at the ol’ davidnprogress.com studios (my kitchen) and have recorded the process. As you will see, it was a simple and straightforward experience. 

Hey David! What about the quick switch adaptor? 

Watch the video and you will see how that worked as well. Again, I have all my APPs and pictures backed up in the cloud but I will have to say that it seemed way easier to use the adapter especially given that it all took place with ease while I was in the process of activating. It was also nice to fire up the new phone and have all my in-progress text messages sitting there. 

Well, that is it. Now time to get busy taking pics and having fun with my new $400 wonder machine.

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.