cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When the Moto e4 plus Might Be a Better Phone for You - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

When the Moto e4 plus Might Be a Better Phone for You - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Plus.jpg

So after reviewing the already impressive Moto e4, the bar was certainly raised as what’s possible on a meager budget.  For those of you needing a bit more features and having a more flexible budget, I introduce to you the Moto e4 plus.  Much like the Moto e4 is packs a big punch without breaking the bank and with just a little extra headroom and even more great features. Is the Moto e4 Plus the better phone for you?  Well let’s look at ways the Moto e4 plus shines.

#1 Price: Out the door with no deals, nor promotions the Moto e4 plus retails for $270.00.  That’s paying outright.  True, that’s quite a bit more than the Moto e4 but still remains a very attractive-priced handset, and you also get quite a bit more phone for your money

#2 Endurance: The Moto e4 plus has a big battery upgrade from its smaller brother, upgrading the stock 2800 mAh Battery, to a monster 5000mAh.  Literally squashing the e4’s by adding an additional 19.5 hours more talk time. This phone is sure to be a beast in the field and give you the battery life longer, stronger and when you need it most. 

#3 Weight: This phone is fairly light and comfortable, especially for its size.   On my scale it weighs in at about 6.4oz and is about as expected when considering the beefier battery.  I certainly have had phones much heavier with much smaller batteries so I am not at all turned off by this form factor.  

#4 Screen: The e4 Plus upgrades the stock 5.0” 720p HD Screen to a larger 5.5” 720p HD Screen.  It’s sounds trivial but feels quite a bit larger and easier to see and navigate.   It still has Night Display under the Moto Display modes and color remains good and clear in any light.  One drawback however, is a bigger screen with the same resolution translates to a much smaller pixel density and some apps take notice.  One of my favorite steaming apps, Vudu (used for playing UltraViolet digital movies) will force you to play in SD because of this.  Generally on a screen this size it’s hardly noticeable but just a little annoying when the smaller e4 would play things in 720p HDX without any throttling.   

#5 Hardware & System: Much of the hardware and layout remains unchanged.

Both the e4 and e4 Plus have a 16GB ROM / 2GB RAM and are easily upgraded with a MicroSD card (Up to 128G). 

However you do get additional muscle on the camera and CPU. 

The Moto e4 has an 8MP Rear/ 5MP Front Camera vs. the Moto e4 Plus with a 13MP Rear/ 5MP Front Camera.  I’m not a great photographer by any means.  I’ll say I didn’t really see a huge difference between the two cameras but that might only be because the screen increased in relation to the MP count. I’ll say they are both acceptable and usable cameras for a phone of this price range.

Both the e4 and e4 plus have 1.4 Ghz Quad Core CPU but the e4 plus has a familiar Snapdragon 427 CPU, as seen in many other phones.  They both feel swift and solid, a good pairing with the 16GB ROM / 2GB RAM and feels every bit like the flagship phones of a couple years ago.   A good value and very usable with the included Android Nougat 7.1 OS.

#6 Finger Print Reader – Have apps that take advantage of this technology and/or just want a little quick access to unlocking your handset, well the finger print is now a commonplace. The Moto e4 plus is also a great example of a reader that works quickly and reliably.  I like to add a few fingerprints for ease an access but add as many or as few as you want.

#7 MicroUSB Charging: I bring this up every time but it’s always as true.  You already have a dozen micro USB cables and it’s a drag to let them go to waste.   So many new phones have gone USB-C but the Moto e4 plus will keep those Micro USB cables going. Before letting them go, have the Moto e4 plus, give them a final victory lap.

It’s great how I’ve gone from Motorola being a long forgotten stranger, to being a familiar friend. It’s also nice to see how they have built a phone for everyone. From the ultra-budget e4, to a better equipped e4 plus to the insanely equipped Z2 Force Edition, Motorola is certainly covers all bases. It’s also nice because all phones feel good and familiar, which is all the reason to hang tight a stick with Motorola.

More great reviews and blogs on the Moto e4 plus in coming weeks and if you are interested, please check out my blogs on both the smaller e4 and the exciting Moto Z2 Force Edition in other sections.

Hello Moto.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.