cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Is Flash Jump-Cut on the LG G8 ThinQ? - Sprint Product Ambassador

Sprint Product Ambassador

Where Is Flash Jump-Cut on the LG G8 ThinQ?  Don’t Worry It’s Still There… Mostly.

01_Title.jpg

If you ever happened upon my last blog regarding LG’s Flash Jump-Cut feature, you will understand I’m a real big fan of creating animated GIFs:

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Android-Influence/Using-Flash-Jump-Cut-on-the-LG-G7-ThinQ-makes-easy...

You won’t find Flash Jump-Cut showcased very prominently on the new LG G8 ThinQ, however.

I’m not sure why this great editing tool has taken a back door to other features but rest assured most of the functionality is still intact and will work even better with LG G8 ThinQ’s ultra-sharp camera.

To get familiar, first read my original blog (above) on what is LG's Flash Jump-Cut feature.  Then return here for all the changes since the LG G7 ThinQ.

Getting to Flash Jump-Cut is a little more hidden than before.  From the main camera screen, scroll all the way to the right until you find “More”.  Then on the “More” Screen, the Flash Jump-Cut mode can be found in the third column/second row.

JUMP_FLASH_CUT.png

Again the default mode will capture 4 photos to stitch together and captures images 3 seconds apart.  You can also expand the number of frames by touching the top right icon showing the number 4.  For example, bump this number up to 8 which will give us a loop of eight images.  You can capture things happening in motion and you’ll get fairly good results.  However to maximize your slide show you want to leave the camera and background very steady. 

It still works great with either the front facing or rear facing camera and the rear camera even allows you to use wide angle.

You can tweak your animated GIF after capturing or leave everything alone if you want something quick and easy.   To edit, just go to your gallery and select edit.  You can add in (or remove) extra frames by clicking “photos”.  Speed up or slow down the rate using “Speed”, Crop the picture using “Ratio” or play forward, backwards, or back and forth using “Flow”. (This is all unchanged).

01_01_edit.jpg

Previously, you could also can create animated GIFs using just photos you already took previously, which is good if you take a lot of random picture bursts like I do (hoping for one good shot in 10 attempts). However you will no longer find a, “Create GIF” option like you did before.

01_01_Before.jpg  01_01_After.jpg

There is a way around this however…

First shoot a random Flash Jump-Cut GIF, then go to “Edit” under gallery.  Now choose the photos option to add your general photos and simply remove all the ones you took in the random Flash Jump-Cut original.  This pretty much gets you the same result as starting from a single imported image and will produce a nice clean custom animated GIF of your choosing.

Random Thought:

I also find it curious why when first start using Flash Jump-Cut you will get this disclaimer:

01_Disclaimer.jpg

This was absent on the LG G7 ThinQ and it’s almost like its written in response to someone who got themselves in trouble between the G7 and G8.

Just food for thought.  

Also a reminder, these animated GIF files can be very large in size.  4 or 8 high resolution frames can be larger than 6 MBytes.  This is why I'm sparing you from some of my new creations. 

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee