cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I still got a case for the Samsung S8 Active: Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Over the past couple of years, I have written often about the importance of slapping a case on phone as soon as it is taken out of the box. This is due to my active outdoor lifestyle and my unfortunate propensity to break screens. The last 12 months, however, have brought into my hands some devices that thanks to advances in phone build technology have brought peace of mind with extra protection.  20180201_132115-COLLAGE.jpg

That was not the case back when I was trying out the Samsung Galaxy S8 a few months back. Due to the all-glass body the phone is slicker than a politician as my granddad would have said. It was just two weeks into my ownership that I dropped the S8 while placing it in my running armband and cracked the screen. That has to be some kind of record. The phone landed in the corner sweet spot on the pavement and that was the end. This could have been avoided of course with a combination of some good care and a great case.

That brings us to the Samsung S8 Active. This S8 is built differently with glass in the front but metal in the back and reinforced corners that when dropped will provide extra protection. The screen has extra protection as well with a special layer of coating to prevent the screen from cracking.

This is the first flagship device ever that I have felt a level of confidence to grab and go without a case. It feels kind of weird to be honest. I have taken the S8 Active with me outdoors cycling, running, doing outdoor construction work, hiking and more. Through it all the phone has operated as expected and I have hardly given a thought about the lack of a case.

Despite all of this great success, I have decided to add a case and screen protector. In my mind, I expect my device to last up to two years and there is just no denying that case will keep it looking fresh and scratch free. After several weeks of use, there are some minor scratches on the screen and I noticed a small scratch on the metal body where the color is no longer present.

Another motivator for a case the due to the feel of the device while outside. It is winter and I have noticed for sure the back of the device gets really cold matching the temperature which although should not impact the phone performance sure does make it cold to the touch.

Mostly, your device is a long-term investment and even with the rugged styling a simple case covering it will ensure it stays pristine through the full time you own it.

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

1 Comment
Sprint Product Ambassador

smart man!  Always feel safe with a case.  I think it will pay off and protect the edges of the phone and glass where these areas are more vulnerable while being dropped!