Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.1 in may

Journeyman

2.1 in may

I had a chat session with customer service this morning:

ME:

can you tell me when sprint will offer an Android phone that has version 2.1 on it? Either the 2 android phones you offer now or the nexus one or HTC EVO?
10:11:25 AM Codra
The Android 2.1 update will be available in May of this year, and the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero are available at this time. Currently, there is not a release date for either the HTC EVO or the HTC Nexus One. The HTC EVO is set to be released in the summer of 2010.
2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Yeah, that has been rumored now for a few weeks.  Hopefully it is true; though we've has some creditable rumors in the past. Havent seen any Sprint people here refute the claims clearly visible on these two photos taken of a supposed Sprint internal website message: http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-android-21-update-scheduled-early-may

That would put it in early second quarter if you subscribe to the early/late second quarter model. Perhaps because of time compression, all the rumors are starting to line up. Then again, the closer we get, the harder to deny the rumors will be as well.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Journeyman

According to the Dan@Sprint.com service desk, 2.1 has never been officially commented on by Sprint.  They apologize for the leaked reports and resulting percieved "false starts".

Officially, "2.1 will be released this summer, tenatively early May, but that could change".

A coworker of mine rooted his phone 2 days ago and its everything that was promised.  Google apps replace Sprint apps and they are superior.  The Android market is awesome too!  I am rooting my phone tomorrow.  Sprint would be wise to consider creating a "Sprint Market" to release their apps to those that want them and not hold up the OS.  As to Android 2.2, 3.0 etc., sprint feels that the processors on existing devices probably won't support them and people will simply upgrade their phones.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat