cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 May 21st... we'll see

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.1 May 21st... we'll see

Yet more possible rumors and speculation.  Don't knoiw if anybody posted this one yet or not.  Feel free to delete if necessary.

http://htcpedia.com/news/HTC-Hero-Android-Update-Coming-May-21.html?l_page=1&p_page=1

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.1 May 21st... we'll see

At this point I don't know if it matters whther it has been posted or not, just whether the admins feel like hitting the delete key.

We really need to develop some sort of game associated with new rumors posting and what happens when those daates pass with no update.

That and a new game for anytime a 1.x phone upgrades before the Hero or Moment.  Can't be a drinking game, as I think people would get alcohol poisoning.

Journeyman

Hopefully there is at least some validity to this statement. I contacted customer care today (via chat) about my Hero not downloading MMS messages.

He said... "I am sorry to inform you that this is a non issue and this issue will be resolved once the Android 2.1 MR is launched. It will launch this month."

i responded "so you know it WILL be released this month then...and that will resolve the issue"

to wich he responded "Yes I am sure it will launch this month. Once it is launched it will surely resolve the issue."

And he further went on to sya "I am sure the issue will be resolved in this month."

Hopefully this is really what is going on and not just more service reps saying whatever they need to say to get you to hang up. We can only hope but i will not be holding my breath. Not that this matters but i did print out the conversation as a referance.

Journeyman

I posted this earlier but it was deleted. I asked the question if Sprint supplies best buy with this info because Best Buy has been wrong twice about the upgrade.

Journeyman

You would think Best Buy Mobile is getting it frm somewhere.  But who knows, they could just be trying to see how popular they can be on all the phone blogs.

Wizard

There have been target dates for the updates around for months.  But as you well know those have passed.

And since a target date and a launch date are 2 very different things, the admins here won't give out target dates

We'll only announce a final launch date when it becomes available.

Message was edited by: SarahKS

Journeyman

Well since you are only "On track for 2q" now, I can safely predict that will be in July or later.

Journeyman

I uderstand that Sarah.

And to the post right before yours.

BestBuy mobile rarely knows much of anything before it's upon them.  That screenshot, as with all screenshots "provided by an employee," could easily be faked.  That's why I labeled it as possible rumor and speculation at th beginning of my post.

Journeyman

Phone companies are in a whole different game now with Android. Before (smartphones) nobody cared or knew about software updates. Companies are not equipped to handle this because they are not set up to do so. ALL carrier companies need to adapt to this new genre of phones and customer needs or get left behind. I compare this phenomena to the early internet providers (AOL/Prodigy/CompuServe/MSN). It is about service, speed, and price.

Message was edited by: KingOfDeletedPosts

Journeyman

KingOfDelete
dPosts

I don't often disagree with your posts, but Sprint has been through this OS debacle with Windows mobile, Palm, Black Berry, and now Android.  they seem to love to fail at upgrades.

nemisisnow

My guess from my short lived time in consumer electronics sales is that this is being sent out to get employees ready, as they do need notice. I doubt they are fakes.  I just think Sprint is doing just as good of job at ticking off their preferred retailers (not to mention the retailers employees) as they are us.  THese folks are going to try and make sales based off of this info and will be later proven wrong.  I think Sarah would have been more helpful to deny this one than to basically say there are lots of internal deadlines.  But since when are the admins helpful with regards to this issue.

Message was edited by: rlkelley192

Journeyman

rlkelley192 wrote:

KingOfDelete
dPosts

I don't often disagree with your posts, but Sprint has been through this OS debacle with Windows mobile, Palm, Black Berry, and now Android.  they seem to love to fail at upgrades.

I agree. I should have rephrased that to say before smartphones. Android has shed more light on the issue though since it is more "mainstream". 

Journeyman

The question that I would like to have answered is who supplies the release dates to Best Buy?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat