Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 confirmed for April?

Journeyman

Re: Android 2.1 confirmed for April?

I think the Moment should get it before the Hero cause its Cooler LOL

Journeyman

Not too sound mean or anything, but do you pay attention to the Android world? The Droid just updated.

Journeyman

I think they were specificaly talking about phones with 1.5/1.6 going to 2.1.  The Droid started with 2.0.  It was not as big of a jump technical wise for it.

Journeyman

It sounds like that tech needs a new job.  You don't expect to be lied to when you ask a tech a question, but a little more faith in the company that pays his bills would be cool.  If he has no more faith (as an "insider") than that, why should we?!  Maybe he should do what we all would do if we can't get straight answers or quality service - - move on.

My local Sprint Corporate store has said that Sprint/HTC is planning on a "tentative" April 9 release, but that it will not be OTA.  We will have to go to their website to download.  At least they are consistent.  Every tech at the store that I have talked to (individually) has said the same thing.

Journeyman

I hardly believe any of the techs anymore at stores anymore. I went to 2 stores here in the Bay Area (one in San Francisco and one in Daly City) and the techs I leaned on the counter with for about an hour each were on the phone with "corporate" to get an official answer.  Last month, I was told it was going to be on "March 26th" - last week I was told it was going to be on "April 9th", today I got an email back from Sprint's customer service saying "sometime in the Summer" (ironic since that's when the Evo comes out). I've accepted the fact that it'll come when it comes.  All the neat apps you can download on the Android Market that seem pretty cool to add to your phone can't be added because they only run on 2.0 or higher. Talk about not having full access to all the Android apps available to you since your phone is still running on the same old firmware since last year.

Journeyman

Google should have pushed the Nexus One to all the carriers at once. We wouldnt be having any of these talks about 2.1 then because the updates would no longer be carrier dependent. (Think about that. No more endless release date rumors). Then the only people talking about updates would be those who chose to go with a carrier released Android phone. I think that's a fair trade off --full price for the phone, but frequent updates from the source; or subsidized price from the carrier and updates if and when they see fit.You buy which ever is best for your use.

I didnt think the N1 would make any difference once the carriers came out with similar phones, but I'm beginning to see the significance of it, especially if it does eventually get to every carrier and Google releases more phones using the same sales structure. It would be the end of carrier based sales and support and they would simply provide the signal and bandwidth. Everything else would be provided directly from the OS provider.

Journeyman

It has been my experience that the store tech's and most of the (over the phone) tech's, and customer service, know little to nothing about updates. Two weeks after the CL14 update came out, I went to three store's before I found one that even heard of the thing, much less knew how to do it. I have also talked to four OTP tech's and or customer service rep's in the past few weeks, two didn't know of any update, one said it will be released in early 2nd quarter (wich is what Sprint has said on Twitter) , and one said that the update has already been released. So don't put alot of trust in what a tech tells you about updates, after all they're only one notch above a salesman. Sprint said early 2nd quater so that gives them till mid May, I'm just hoping it will be a little sooner is all. One more thing, it would be nice if someone in the know from Sprint would chime in on this, if they have any FACTS about the 2.1 update. Is it still on schedule? Any problems? Is it going to be OTA? Anything that is a fact, would help.

Message was edited by: timm13

Wizard

timm13 wrote:

Ok, I know we are all so tired of rumors and half-baked answers to the illusive Android 2.1 from Sprint for our outdated Hero's and Moment's. However I just found some info for an April release date that seems some what credible.

http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/cellphone-pda/2599-htc-hero-android-2-1-update

Also I saw this about a new Moment2. But it doesn't seem to have the really nice Amoled screen. In fact it just looks like a slightly remodeled version of the Moment, perhaps with a faster processor.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/04/06/leaked-is-this-the-samsung-moment2-for-sprint/

Lets all keep our fingers crossed for an April release of 2.1.

Why exactly did you think that ozcarguide's supposed info "seems some what credible" ?? He disclosed no source, not even some random anonymous person's posting on a rumor site, or someone he overheard in the subway... he just made a statement to "Expect your Sprint HTC Hero to begin updating anywhere  from April 16th onwards".  Is it credible because it is what you wanted to hear?

Journeyman

timm13 wrote:

One more thing, it would be nice if someone in the know from Sprint would chime in on this, if they have any FACTS about the 2.1 update. Is it still on schedule? Any problems? Is it going to be OTA? Anything that is a fact, would help.

Message was edited by: timm13

I totally agree. Though I doubt you will get any answer other than 2Q2010 or 1H2010. I was mistaken when I thought someone mentioned at least a news update on the progress of 2.1. That turned out to be that supposed leaked memo. All the Sprint admins here have obviously been briefed to stick with the same answer until instructed otherwise.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The techs are not all bad.  When you experience someone who had a bad day or night before or who just hates their job you get this type of behavior - not from a guy who is acting professional.  It is a poor reflection on Sprint, but not indicitive of the service Sprint provides as a whole - at least based on my experience as a multi-line business customer for many years.  As for ANDROID 2.1: The updates need to come soon, Sprint knows this.  Sprint is working on too many things at once, it seems.  Updating a football app that is pointless in the summer... setting up 4G when there are many cities without 3G... rolling out new improved iPhone killers while leaving the the first, second, and third generation iPhone Killer kool-aid drinkers hanging on to outdated software on a phone that is still next generation.  Yes, like many of you, I HAVE an Instinct, a PRE and now a Hero sitting on my desk.  The Instinct was just wrong and Sprint should be ashamed.  The PRE is fabulous, when the hardware works.  The Hero is just the opposite - great hardware, lack of software.  I will get the EVO, which is what Sprint is counting on.  Why hurry to fix anything when they can simply lure you in with the next best thing?  They always do - and many of you know if you complain enough, they will work with you to get your replacement at a cost that is less than advertised and leave your old phone sitting on the desk like I have.

Journeyman

bakntyme wrote:

timm13 wrote:

Ok, I know we are all so tired of rumors and half-baked answers to the illusive Android 2.1 from Sprint for our outdated Hero's and Moment's. However I just found some info for an April release date that seems some what credible.

http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/cellphone-pda/2599-htc-hero-android-2-1-update

Also I saw this about a new Moment2. But it doesn't seem to have the really nice Amoled screen. In fact it just looks like a slightly remodeled version of the Moment, perhaps with a faster processor.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/04/06/leaked-is-this-the-samsung-moment2-for-sprint/

Lets all keep our fingers crossed for an April release of 2.1.

Why exactly did you think that ozcarguide's supposed info "seems some what credible" ?? He disclosed no source, not even some random anonymous person's posting on a rumor site, or someone he overheard in the subway... he just made a statement to "Expect your Sprint HTC Hero to begin updating anywhere  from April 16th onwards".  Is it credible because it is what you wanted to hear?

First off, get that sand out of your panties. It sounds more credible to me because that site, along with others states that the updates will be coming to several different cell phone providers in the next few weeks in different parts of the world. And for once it's not someone claiming to be a Sprint employee, but rather coming from HTC themselves. Nothing is 100% untill it has already happened, however it is looking like everything is starting to come together for the release. And Sprint did say "early 2nd quarter". sm*rt*ss

Journeyman

fwbkotowske wrote:

The techs are not all bad.  When you experience someone who had a bad day or night before or who just hates their job you get this type of behavior - not from a guy who is acting professional.  It is a poor reflection on Sprint, but not indicitive of the service Sprint provides as a whole - at least based on my experience as a multi-line business customer for many years.  As for ANDROID 2.1: The updates need to come soon, Sprint knows this.  Sprint is working on too many things at once, it seems.  Updating a football app that is pointless in the summer... setting up 4G when there are many cities without 3G... rolling out new improved iPhone killers while leaving the the first, second, and third generation iPhone Killer kool-aid drinkers hanging on to outdated software on a phone that is still next generation.  Yes, like many of you, I HAVE an Instinct, a PRE and now a Hero sitting on my desk.  The Instinct was just wrong and Sprint should be ashamed.  The PRE is fabulous, when the hardware works.  The Hero is just the opposite - great hardware, lack of software.  I will get the EVO, which is what Sprint is counting on.  Why hurry to fix anything when they can simply lure you in with the next best thing?  They always do - and many of you know if you complain enough, they will work with you to get your replacement at a cost that is less than advertised and leave your old phone sitting on the desk like I have.

Sorry I didn't mean to say that ALL Sprint employee's are incompetent. As I stated earlier, I did finaly (on the 3rd try) find a store that seemed to know what they are doing. I had the Instinct as well, and at least the GPS worked on that phone.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat