ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 confirmed for April?

Journeyman

Re: Android 2.1 confirmed for April?

True. I actualy read somewhere (don't know if it's true) that Sprint had finished the update as of late March, and they are tinkering with the delivery. I lost the link to that. Just trying to stay optimistic, which isn't easy on this forum.

Journeyman

You may have gotten that impression based on the last tweet Sprint produced in February.

Journeyman

Nope. Wasn't Twitter.

Journeyman

Well, if it wasnt. What was said here was surely based on it:

OTA vs. PC-based or in-store upgrade are "still TBD upgrade options" referenced in Android 2.1 tweet (working through w/ manufacturers)              
Journeyman

I got the same exact Tweet from Sprint as well.  From what it reads like they have completed the software update.. They are just trying to figure out how to deliver it.  Via OTA or via Download using HTC Sync software to load it!

Journeyman

Stop the fighting back and forth - no one knows when this update is coming for sure.  Here is an opinion to throw around...

HTC has provided the code to Sprint with Sense UI intact and ready to go.  They are a great company and have done as contracted to do - but they are making Sprint wait in return for an EVO exclusive launch.  Ok, so what does Sprint being on the brink of releasing new hardware with 2.1 on it - EVO have to do with it?  There is a certain frenzy about to happen as it did with all of the other 'next best thing' phones they have released.  If you will recall, the Instinct took forever to update.  When it finally did get with the program it was lacking an update that would put it over the top (for what the lame hardware would actually do) - then WHAM! the Pre was on scene and handsets were selling like crazy again.  People were bailing on the Instinct.  Hold everything, because now comes the long awaited update to make the Instinct work correctly - and also a new handset (now twice - S30 and HD models).  Pre updates were slowly coming, hardware was acting up, people were looking for the next best thing again.  November 2009 (six months after Pre release) here comes HERO and Moment to save the day.  Well, in December I think, the Pre received more updates to make it totally great (if you can stand the hardware problems that many have suffered).  Here comes another six month term expiring on the HERO this time.  The EVO is right around the corner, right?  This is a marketing pattern folks.  The updates will come to those who wait.  Those who don't and totally freak out over the EVO being the 'next best thing' from Sprint and forego the cost of dumping the HERO will not need the update.  Sprint is genius in advertising and marketing.  Expect an update that will make the HERO a lot better, but not as good (even without the extras) as the EVO or other next generation Android phones.  Hence, increased sales of the EVO and a rise on the stock market and positioning against the iPhone.  HTC is in a great big lawsuit with Apple and wants to hit them where it hurts and will use Sprint to get them there - Sprint has touted an iPhone killer for a long time.  The press is now giving major props to HTC for this new handset and are calling it the ONLY iPhone killer and they are openly challenging Apple - just go read some of the press coverage.

Journeyman

If you think this is fighting, you should avoid some of the other threads

Highlighted
Journeyman

You are right for sure.  I have been 'deleted for content' before, but I was calling people twits in it.  It was over updates for another phone... and people complaining about a product they bought.  Imagine that. 

Journeyman

now this is not a rumor the xda developers been had 2.1 cdma sprint version now for a couple of weeks look here. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=657896 if you read around some one else also posted this a lil while ago. its official maybe yall should just do it cause everyday theres a new post about the same topic 2.1 and frankly im tired of hearing yall wine. i too am a hero owner and have had mine since oct 10 2009 on the launch date so i also would love 2.1 . my daughter owns a nexus 1 and the difference is amazing in the 2.1 rom shes just missing sense so i understand i too cant recieve sms  and cant use my bluetooth car radio and etc.. etc but crying about it doesnt change anything so be about it and just got it from xda they basically develop most things for our phones anyway so its not like they are clueless.

Journeyman

Fighting? Who's fighting?

Journeyman

SDX has a working rom of 2.1 and they already have it rooted. Im running it and all I can say is HOLY CRAP!!!...in a good way of course. Also this is just for the moment.

http://www.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=1434.0

Journeyman

Sprint is doing a horrible job of taking care of its customers if they are allowing HTC to dictate that there will be no updates until the EVO releases.  First of all, the contracts associated the the Hero were done long before the EVO was a glimmer in anyones eye, so for Sprint as a customer to allow the manufacturer to dictate such things, there is a level of anti consumer collusion going on here that is beyond what should be legal.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat