cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.1 most likey in April 2010.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.1 most likey in April 2010.

Android users, it looks like we are going to suffer the same fate as the Verizon Droid users.

http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-uses-announcement-nexus-one-pimp-android-21-moment-hero

From a leaked internal document:

What you need to know:

• With all the anticipation of Nexus One joining the Sprint  Android family of great devices, customers with the HTC HeroTM and the Samsung MomentTM with GoogleTM may wonder about the Android 2.1  platform that supports Nexus One.

What you  need to do:

• We know that technology has enabled  greater productivity and spontaneity in our lives,and because of this we  have become very dependent on staying connected. Customers don't only  expect more from their wireless phones -- they demand it.

• Let  your customers know we are actively working on having the  Android 2.1 platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the  coming weeks.

• Look for more  information coming in April about Android 2.1 platform for Hero and  Moment.

And don't forget:

• The  HTC HeroTM and the Samsung MomentTM with GoogleTM are superior devices.

• Sprint is the only national U.S.  carrier to offer HTC Hero, and it picked up top honors as the Best  Mobile Handset at the 2010 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

• About.com  readers have nominated HTC Hero as their favorite smartphone for the  2010 Reader's Choice Awards.

If this is accurate & I highly believe it so, we're looking at April for Android 2.1. I believe the similar delay for Verizon Droid customers must mean some fine tuning of the update must be happening. Sorry to be the bearer of unpopular news but I think sometime in April will most likely be the best likely ETA.

Message was edited by: jogomez721

16 REPLIES 16
Master

Re: Android 2.1 most likey in April 2010.

Journeyman

Levi,

Thank you. I've edited my post with the correct link. Appreciate the assist.

jogomez721.

Master

I just want to point out that there hasn't been a delay, for that to happen an official date would have to be announced. Every date so far has been a rumored release and has never been substantiated.

Originally it was stated the 2.1 update would be out 1H2010, then it was updated to Early 2Q2010. Most people (including me) would say that April is early second quarter.

Journeyman

halcyoncmdr,

I never subscribed to the March rumors. However, I wanted to bring a bit of reality to the discussion here. However, the very vague "Early 2Q2010" invites rumors. It would have been nice if someone would have said, that "March is not practical." I understand it as I have some background in the IT industry & as an tech enthusiast. However, since Verizon was planning a limited release followed by general availability in March, that fueled speculation of an potential impending release. This leaked document gives us more of a definitive & practical release ETA. But I appreciate your comments for certain.

Message was edited by: jogomez721

Journeyman

Also keep in mind what the document says is that further announcements would come sometime in April.  So they could be saying that sometime between 4/1 and 4/30 they could be announcing the future release date, or they could be saying that sometime between 4/1 and 4/30 they could be putting us off again until later.  The previous message we got said things are looking good for a early 2Q release, not that there would be an early 2Q release.  Just saying...

Journeyman

I am so sick of this. This whole 1.5 thing was outdated when it was released. WTH do we have to do to get an updated phone?

Journeyman

Umm, switch to another carrier, or buy a N1 when they release.

Journeyman

I don't think switching carriers will do anything to speed up the 2.1 update. All the other U.S. & European carriers have plenty of 1.x series Android phones. But like most folks don't get is that upgrading software is very tricky & technically challenging. I think a lot of manufacturer's like 1.5 & 1.6 because it's stable & based upon an older build of the Linux kernel. However, Android 2.1 has both an kernel update, OS improvements, & app updates. Perhaps there are some unforseen difficulties that Google & carriers are trying to iron out. Granted those who are rooting are saying it's okay, but there's not 100 percent fuctionality of the device. I think the carriers have to get this right or face a worse problem. Now if it becomes April 30th & we've got no update, then Sprint deserves some heat. Until then, let's see what April brings.

Journeyman

The point is the Droid is 2.0, the N1 is 2.1, there are several 1.6 phones out and what they all have in common is they are not on Sprint.

Journeyman

How shocking. More "leaked" info, and still no date.

Journeyman

Anything new on this? I hate that Sprint is not saying anything about the subject.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat