cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

With  HTC rolling out Andoid 2.2 Froyo on the Nexus One, it's evident that  HTC has been working hard to improve the android experience for all of  us. Sadly, Sprint has REALLY dropped the ball with Android 2.1 and now  has a HUGE trust issue with it's users. However, I am already drooling  over some of the features in 2.2 Froyo. One of the items, supposedly  included, is a BT Activated Voice Dialer (bout time HTC). It also  has improved memory management and a variety of changes that improve  performance (at least this is what is being reported on the Nexus One).  Now, HTC has stated that Froyo will start being made available in 2Q.  Beyond that, we have little information. However, that means 2.2 Froyo  could be available anywhere from July to October. With that said, do we  believe Sprint will learn from the mess up with 2.1 and make 2.2  available as soon as it is ready? I personally doubt it and I am  expecting to see 2.2 in late October, just in time to meet the 2Q limit,  but not quite break into 3Q. Why? Because of some of the other great  features in 2.2 that Sprint wont want us to have. Sprint will waste a  HUGE amount of time making sure HTC blocks the improved wireless hot  spot feature (that now lets you phone act as a hot spot for up to 8  devices, unlike the 4 or 5 of the past phones). Sprint wants to charge  more for 4G and wants to make money off their mobile hot spot device, so  they will want the 2.2 update to come with the hot spot feature  disabled. Personally, I think Sprint are being idiots about this and  it's gonna cost them users and therefor money. If they made the 4G and  hot spot functions available as standard, they could draw in MORE users  and there by generate more profit then they do selling the 4G services  separately. If you think about it, they get an extra $30 if you tack on  4G services. However, if they add one customer, at $69 a month, for  every one person who orders the $30 4G up grade, Sprint makes twice as  much with the 4G included. This is called a cost benefit analysis and  Sprint needs to learn how to do them. However, because of their lack of  understanding, of simple accounting procedures, they will continue to  sell 4G separately and block the wireless hot spot feature (something  AT&T is using to their advantage BIG time and Yes, Sprint, people  are willing to pay higher costs for AT&T to get the mobile hot spot  and you could take that away from AT&T if you made it available to  us). Because of their want of doing these stupid things, instead of  using them in a more sensible business fashion, I believe Sprint will  cause the same delay issues as they did with 2.1. So, even though 2.2  Froyo is rolling out, I don't believe that Hero users will see it any  time soon. Here is hoping I am wrong, but not hoping too much to expect  too much.

Message was edited by: greyson1973

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Android 2.2 Froyo - Will Sprint mess this up too?

i am trying to read this post,  but your choice of font makes my eyes ache.

you must be new to sprint. there is no rhyme or reason to the upgrade path for devices and firmware. the only way there is something done is if there is a total failure of the device. need i say touch pro (first generation). that device was such a nightmare that some customers got the touch pro2 as a replacement. that being said it took well over a year for that to happen. i guess after thousands of device failures corporate finally gave in and bit the bullet.

so expect the upgrade path to android 2.2 to be a slow one. i would be shocked beyond belief if you were tearing into some frozen yogurt before the new year. although i have a hankering for some gingerbread (android 3.0)

Journeyman

Well first Android is a fragmented OS google acknowledges it and every body else has. That is one of the reasons for updates taking so long to roll out. A huge reason for updates roll outs being slowed down is devices because technology changes so fast they cant support new firmwares. That and dont even talk about Froyo 2.2 if you have a Hero, HTC ready said only phones getting Froyo are EVO, Incredible, Desire, Legened, and any phone released 2010. And you shouldn't blame just Sprint you have to also blame HTC for prolonging the update.

Journeyman

first of all yes and no on fragmented o/s.

i am guessing you saw the article that engadget had regarding android fragmentation (then again maybe you didnt). any open source platform is going to branch out into as many directions as developers want to take it. that in no way is an adequate excuse for sprint or any other carrier to neglect its customer base. if a device is capable of an upgrade, then it should be made available.

i can tell you from personal experience with sprint that the best way to upgrade is on your own. my touch pro 2 has the latest WM6.5.5 build on it with the most current manila package that HTC has released. i understand that not everyone either wants to or can create a custom ROM and install on their device, but some can and do.

so if a retired fireman with no formal coding skill can do this, why cant a billion dollar communications company do it???

the answer is it is not profitable for sprint or any other carrier to waste resources on a device once it is released. only after significant customer backlash, or a serious flaw in the soft/firmware will it be done.

so i dont expect sprint to upgrade my next device... i will find a way to root it, unlock it or whatever method is necessary to give my device the upgrade i deserve.

and here is one to think about... would you rather have the apple approach to things? total overcontrol of the platform and device? i do know apple devices can be jailbroken... i did it for a friend of mine recently, but as soon as the next update comes its relocked and then its back to square 1. i for one like having that option to change batteries and customize a device i purchase the way i want i and not the way its cheapest for the carrier to provide.

now if sprint would just let long term customers get an early eclair i would be happy

Journeyman

I'd like to make a couple of points.

First, three versions of the iPhone OS out with a 4th one coming. The 1.x series for the iPod's. The 2x & 3x series for the iPhones & iPod Touch's. The original iPhone & iPhone 3G cannot run 4.x OS upgrades. The current 3GS & iTouch will not get multi-touch features. There's plenty of OS fragmentation happening within Apple's universe. Also, in the computer arena, there's 5 different versions of Windows 7, a 32 & 64 bit version of Windows 7, 8 versions of Windows Vista, 32 & 64 bit versions of Vista, XP home & Professional, & Windows 2000. If you look at Apple's side, there's OS-X 5 & OS-X 6. There are still a number of OS-X 4 users out there. Also, with OS-X 10.6, there are now 32 & 64 bit kernel's depending on hardware models. OS fragmentation happens everywhere and isn't so much of a big deal. I'd say this is a strawman argument because this happens everywhere.

Second, FroYo has just been released to developers. Nexus One users are just now getting it. It's way to early to comment because we don't know if the first generation of handsets will even get 2.2. I do have a feeling that many handsets won't get 2.2. I certainly may be wrong. We know all current handsets in 2010 will get 2.2. But what about the Hero & the Moment? We know for sure that the G1 is not getting FroYo. Until we know for certain, it's hard to say what is going to happen. I do have a feeling that it might be difficult to get 2.2 on to the Hero & the Moment. I might be wrong. But I could see Sprint making a very logical decision not to upgrade both the Hero & the Moment to Android 2.2. The hardware will be older, newer phones will support features by the time 2.2 is ready & the work done might not be worth it. I'm am just speculating & I hope we do get 2.2. I just could see the logic either way.

Third, I agree that Sprint does deserve criticism for the Android 2.1 delivery. I do think that future Google Android updates should be handled by Google, just like Apple controls iPhone OS updates. If there is one thing I'd like Sprint users to lobby for, is for Sprint to hand over the update cycle of Android back to Google. Carriers can make their apps but the update cycle & support should be handled by Google.

Journeyman

jgomez721 wrote:

... The current 3GS & iTouch will not get multi-touch features...

So there are specific multi touch features that aren't goint to be available?  Is that what you're saying?  The way you wrote this seems to generalize it as if they will have no multi touch features when both phones have actually always had multi touch features.  So if there are sopecific multi touch features that will not be available for these particular devices, would you mind posting a link to the list please?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat