cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up your apps before the 2.1 release

Journeyman

Back up your apps before the 2.1 release

android 2_1.jpgBecause the 2.1 upgrade will re-set your Hero or Moment to the factory settings, I wanted to start this thread so everyone can discuss the best ways to back up your stuff beforehand. Here's a start:

The app Astro looks like a great way to back up your apps to your SD card, based on several forums, like here and here.

Here's a list of other backup apps from the site Android Tapp.

Your contacts will be backed up from your Gmail and/or your Exchange server.

Be sure to upload your pics and videos as well.

Call to all Android users: Try your favorite backup option, then share your experience here. The goal is to make the 2.1 upgrade experience as smooth as possible for everyone.

Message was edited by: racqueteer

16 REPLIES 16
Journeyman

Re: Back up your apps before the 2.1 release

I know that I have backed up apps using astro and it works great.  I then just copy the backups folder off to my PC.  That way, once the update is done, I can just format my sdcard and start fresh.     It cannot necessarily backup all apps however, due to some being listed as private.  What I did notice is that all of the apps that I saw listed as private on my phone were free ones anyway.  What I'd like to know is if there is a way, other than trial and error of course, to know if the apps that we have will work properly with 2.1.  I have heard reports that apps such as Handcent do not function properly.  That one doesn't affect me but it might be an issue for others.  I personally don't use it.

I guess, what I was leading up to here is this:  Perhaps we could also start listing any apps that we use now that we know aren't compatible with 2.1?  Just a thought.

Journeyman

Any reason as to why you are telling us this now?

Journeyman

CoronaDoug wrote:

Any reason as to why you are telling us this now?

Do much fishing?    The update should be coming out pretty soon.  Other than just being helpful, probably a not so subtle hint that can't be admitted to. 

Journeyman

What is his favorite number?

Journeyman

What's the downside to not backing up - anything besides having to re-install Market apps, restore settings, recreate "phone" (vs. Google) contacts?

And might some apps installed and backed up under 1.5, then restored on 2.1 suddenly get "confused?"

I'm not against backup. Just not sure the whole start from scratch scenario is all that painful. I've done it twice already thanks to dust-under-screen phone swaps...

Journeyman

I am not interested in 2.1 & do not want it.Is it a forced download or do i have a choice? If not...how can I stop the download of 2.1?....Thanks

Journeyman

Uh, actually you do want it... 1.5 doesn't natively support CDMA and 2.1 does.  Let that be your only reason.

Journeyman

Yes...I am familiar with 2.1 and do not want it.Just want to know if this is a forced download from Sprint or do I have a choice?

Journeyman

I got a couple of questions about backing up apps and the data for those apps.

1.  When I back up public apps, will the data also be backed up.?

2.  When I restore my apps, will the data also be restored?

3.  When I restore my apps, will the Android Market still notify me when newer versions are available?

I'm concerned about data from two free apps, Get Pills and My Days.  I have both MyBackupPro and Astro.

Journeyman

slbailey1 wrote:

I got a couple of questions about backing up apps and the data for those apps.

1.  When I back up public apps, will the data also be backed up.?

2.  When I restore my apps, will the data also be restored?

3.  When I restore my apps, will the Android Market still notify me when newer versions are available?

I'm concerned about data from two free apps, Get Pills and My Days.  I have both MyBackupPro and Astro.

I'm not sure whether preservation of your data after backup depends on the app or is universal. If I can locate anyone here who happens to have Get Pills or My Days, I'll find out. Maybe it's worthwhile to try it now and see, if you can do so without losing a lot of valuable info.

Also, maybe this app (which is free if you get it by March 31) would be a good solution for you: https://www.wavesecure.com/wavesecure/android.aspx.

You should definitely still get newer version notifications from Android Market.

wavesecure.jpg

Message was edited by: racqueteer

Journeyman

freeze12 wrote:

Yes...I am familiar with 2.1 and do not want it.Just want to know if this is a forced download from Sprint or do I have a choice?

I don't know for sure, because I have heard conflicting info about whether 2.1 gets pushed over the air. I'll keep my ear to the ground on that one. My guess is that you might be able to delay 2.1, but that it will be difficult to prevent in the long term.

Can you give us some info about why you'd like to avoid the 2.1 upgrade? If so, maybe I or someone else in the Community can offer some suggestions.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat