cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond Android 2.1 - the future of Android updates

Highlighted
Journeyman

Beyond Android 2.1 - the future of Android updates

I know the wait for the 2.1 update has been difficult for a lot of you. Having been involved in web testing in the past (but not device software/firmware testing), I can tell you that you can run through a thousand test cases, and the first 999 pass but the final one breaks something significant. That's partially why it's so dang hard to commit to a release date, and why you've probably seen inaccurate predictions on the interwebs for the past few months.

Anyway, this article was forwarded to me. It describes the whole "platform fragmentation" issue and what Android core developers are doing to lessen the problem going forward. Feel free to discuss, or let me know whether you consider this valuable information.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/exclusive-android-froyo-to-take-a-serious-shot-at-stemming-plat/

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: Beyond Android 2.1 - the future of Android updates

It sounds as if they are beginning to take a more modular approach which is good considering this is a Linux distro and anyone familiar with the development lifecycle of most dristos knows how quickly things change. Hopefully that equates to quicker software release cycles until we reach that point though. They hit the nail on the head when referring to sales paralysis.

Journeyman

Re: Beyond Android 2.1 - the future of Android updates

I think this is a great move. I mean, how long did VZW customers have to wait for the *stock* 2.1 release on their Droids? And HTC and Sprint have to both update their stuff to get it on the Hero (although the Moment should be quicker). Hopefully this approach means faster update cycle for everybody.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat