Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Sprint Object to Sipdroid?

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

I am considering becoming Verizon-free by replacing my home landline with an Aterisk server that will usie VOIP over my home internet connection.  I could buy SIP phones to connect wirelessly to the Asterisk server or I could install a Digium POTS card and connect my existing phones to it, but both of these options are expensive.

The really neat solution would be to upgrade the family's existing Blackberries to Android phones and then run Sipdroid.

So, if we don't run VOIP over the Sprint network, does Sprint object to installing Sipdroid on Sprint phones?

Actually, I'm assuming that running VOIP over Sprint's network would cause more bandwidth utilization than Sprint would like, but does it.  It can't be as bad as say Netflix.   Does Sprint object to VOIP over the Sprint network?

Jamie

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

It's an on-handset app, that does not involve connecting an external device (tethering), correct?

Then (not official, haven't talked to legal, just *my* opinion) -- go for it!

According to my personal reading of this (possibly out of date) T&C, you can do that with your Android phone:

https://manage.sprintpcs.com/output/en_US/manage/MyPhoneandPlan/ChangePlans/popLegalTermsPrivacy.htm

I am checking if there is an updated T&C, but our general policy is 'no tethering without paying for it, otherwise enjoy!'.  VOIP is far less bandwidth intensive than 2way video or Netflix anyway.  Won't even make a blip on the network reports. (VOIP is what, 8kb/sec?  Biggest problem I could see is jitter and latency - 3G can have up to 150+ms ping times.  4G will work great - it's just like high end Cable or DSL wired connections.)

If I find anything different, I'll follow up.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

That was out of date.  Now we say:

"Excessive Utilization of Network Resources:

Consuming a  disproportionate amount of available Network resources resulting in the  potential to disrupt or degrade the Network or Network usage by others.  The determination of what constitutes excessive use depends on the  specific state of the Network at any given time.  Excessive use is  determined by resource consumption relative to that of a typical  individual user of the Network and not by the use of any particular  application."

http://www.sprint.com/legal/agreement.html

So (in my personal opinion) VOIP / Sipdroid is fine.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat