cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge Lighting

Journeyman

Edge Lighting

Hello all, has anyone gotten Edge Lighting to work? I have reset the settings, reset the phone back to factory settings and I cannot get the Edge Lighting to work while the phone is on screen off mode. It works while I am using the phone but not when I have the phone down. It's a cool feature if it would work for me.

I decided to try here since everything I have tried to help has not worked. My next move may be to send it back to Sprint or do I have to send it to Samsung? I know it's a minor thing but I bought the phone thinking everything on the phone would work or at least after an update or two, would work. Everyone I know that has an S8 or like me the S8+ all have the feature working properly. Very annoying.

I love this phone and it's my first new phone in a very long time so I want to get everything I can out of it. 

14 REPLIES 14
Community Manager

Re: Edge Lighting

I just played with mine and can't get it to work either.  I added SMS, Hangouts and GMAIL to my notifications for the edge panel and tested it.  Nothing.

I'm going to reach out to the product team and see if there's a known issue or if we're missing something.

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Just wondering if you have any information yet. No rush just wondering so I know what my next move will be. Thank you for doing this.

Community Manager

Unofficially all I know at the moment is that Sprint hasn't disabled it, which happens sometimes with features.  I have a couple people checking but typically I don't hear back same day, it usually takes a couple.  If there's something wrong, it could be longer. I'll let ya know 🙂

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Community Manager

Couple quick updates:

1.  According to the Sammy forums (post on page 7 here) this is being looked into by Samsung.

2.  I got mine to work.... SOMETIMES 

- I changed my Always On Display (AOD) back to On but only on the edge

- I selected ALL apps in the Edge Light settings options

Could be coincidence but my lighting notifications started working after I downloaded the Always On Display update through GooglePlay (weird, right?)

SeaWolf

Sprint Product Ambassador

I've been poking and prodding the phone trying to see if I could figure out what was causing it. So far, no luck. Do you have any type of secure lock enabled, like finger print, iris scanner, pin, etc? I'm just trying to see if I can find some commonality.

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

Journeyman

Wow I don't get any notifications that people have responded to this post. I have been trying to fix this issue. Do I have to contact Sprint to maybe get this looked at or the phone replaced? I am tired of trying to fix this issue. I have reset the phone to stock like 10 times and none of the backup apps on the phone work. So I have to keep going in and adding everything the way I had it. Now I wish I knew about the Note 8 being released later this year, I would have went without a phone till then.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

I think Samsung really missed some key elements of this feature; namely - the list of apps available for Edge Lighting (EL) notifications is missing some key apps that should be "no brainers."

e.g. By default "Messages" app (SMS / text messages) is enabled, which many have pointed out doesn't seem to always work. But no EL notification for Phone (app; i.e. phone calls)? Really Samsung? You had that way back on the Note (4) Edge! How could you totally overlook it here? Also, you can enable EL noti's for Facebook, but not Facebook Messenger? OK, so maybe the app developer has to choose to enable an API to call EL noti's. Maybe some choose not to call the EL hooks or overlook it in the Samsung SDK. Clearly the Facebook app has the EL hooks. But FB Messenger doesn't use the EL hooks? And Phone...just no excuse for lack of EL noti's for phone calls. That's on Samsung. Tsk...tsk...

Sprint Product Ambassador and Sprint employee --

All opinions and views are my own. But I'm usually pretty funny and totally on point because I'm humorous and a smart guy, not just a pretty face.
Journeyman

All I need the EL for is calls and messages. I am not on facebook or any of those types of sites. I keep my phone off at work, cause I am not a rude person, so I was hoping to use the EL to alert me to notifications.

Community Manager

@twortley wrote:

Wow I don't get any notifications that people have responded to this post. I have been trying to fix this issue. Do I have to contact Sprint to maybe get this looked at or the phone replaced? I am tired of trying to fix this issue. I have reset the phone to stock like 10 times and none of the backup apps on the phone work. So I have to keep going in and adding everything the way I had it. Now I wish I knew about the Note 8 being released later this year, I would have went without a phone till then.

So just to help me understand: none of the apps work with Edge Lighting or none of your apps on the phone work at all?  Trying to get an idea of scope so we can decide next steps.

If your phone, like mine, works very well with everything else and the only problem you have is the Edge Lighting, I would hold on to it.  This has been identified by Samsung as a bug and they'll likely fix it in a software update.

If you are having other issues with your phone that make it unusable, then certainly you should visit a Sprint store (especially if you have TEP) or, because it's still under warranty, you can also talk to Samsung about your options.

SeaWolf

Journeyman

Just the EL isn't working for anything. The only other thing I have had is the back ups on the phone do not work, but I think that is just the apps issue and not the phone.

Just had an incident. Just a heads up to people, even with a case on this phone is fragile. Dropped it on a firm yet carpeted floor and the corner cracked. I have read how fragile this phone is but wow. Still love it just maybe I will put a bungee cord on it so it can't hit the ground again.
GrandMaster

i believe everything should be backing up to Google now and not to the device as they did before. is that how yours is set up currently? i think that changed up a OS update or two ago.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat