Journeyman

Google Android 2.5 Froyo upcoming features leaked

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Google Android 2.5 Froyo upcoming features leaked

And so April 1st rolls out as usual.

Journeyman

So if the EVO is running froyo, and its being released this summer, why are we only getting 2.1?

Journeyman

Lsanna1488 wrote:

So if the EVO is running froyo, and its being released this summer, why are we only getting 2.1?

According to HTC & Sprint's press release, Evo 4G will be running Android 2.1 NOT FRO-YO!

I think the references to an alpha build of Fro-Yo & it's features are an April Fools Joke.

There are some references to FroYo & an alpha build in the development kit for the Evo, but that's natural progression to include some info on what's coming up next.

FroYo, is still under development at Google. It's far from ready for any type of release.The most current public version of Android is 2.1. Android 2.1 aka Eclair is the next logical upgrade progression. By getting as many of the 1.x phones up to 2.1, this helps Google cut down the fragmentation issue which will be solved by two different builds. The first post Eclair upgrade will be FroYo. FroYo will contain as far as I've been able to read, will have a Linux Kernel update to version 2.6.32. Then the 2nd post Eclair upgrade will be Gingerbread, which will contain a Linux Kernel update to version 2.6.33 or 2.6.34. However, both of them are still being developed & not going to be released anytime soon.

So 2.1 is the current public build that will become available or has become available. So that's why we are getting 2.1 & skipping past 1.6. However, I don't think Sprint will release 2.1 until they are certain that there are minimal to no hiccups when people upgrade. I think that's why we haven't seen 2.1 yet, because 1.6 & 2.1 are the first two versions of Android with native CDMA support, instead of the hacked in support that Sprint did with 1.5.

Below I've listed an article from Engadget on how Google is trying to streamline the platform & all of the different features starting with Android 1.6, 2.0, & 2.1. Basically, when we get 2.1, we're getting all the features from 1.6 all the way to 2.1. If your truly interested. Enjoy. Peace.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/29/exclusive-android-froyo-to-take-a-serious-shot-at-stemming-plat/

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-1.6-highlights.html

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0-highlights.html

http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.1.html#features

Message was edited by: jogomez721

Journeyman

Thank you for the clarification. Can ou tell me if 2.1 is going to have flash 10? and if so will it be able to play those dumb a$$ facebook games that are flash based ie. farmtown and the other games? My wife wants to know.

Message was edited by: Lsanna1488

Wizard

Thank you for your post.

As a long time WM user, I started using Hero in 12/2009.

Now that I decided to develop Android applications, I find it hard to know where to start.

Yes they have ton of information on developer.android.com but it's just too much to read.

Thank you for your summary.

Now Sprint, bring on the HTC EVO

I will develop in .Net to pay the bill and Android for fun!

Journeyman

Froyo is legit.  As far as whether or not the EVO will be released with it...I doubt it.  I wouldn't be surprised if the EVO sticks with being released with 2.1 and ends up getting updated to Froyo version shortly after.  Much like the HERO came out and was almost immediately updated.

The "overlooked" code, if it's real, simply states a fix for a 2.1 4g issue that will supposedly be solved and native in the release of Froyo when it's ready.  I would not be surprised if there was a release specific to Sprint that simply resolved the 4g issue and brought the OS to 2.1-R2 or possibly even just 2.2 but that is purely speculation on my part.

Journeyman

Lsanna1488 wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. Can ou tell me if 2.1 is going to have flash 10? and if so will it be able to play those dumb a$$ facebook games that are flash based ie. farmtown and the other games? My wife wants to know.

Message was edited by: Lsanna1488

2.1 will support Flash. However there is a condition. Adobe, the makers of Flash have stated on their forum that only devices with a ARM v7 (Cortex) processor will be able to run Flash. Devices that will run Flash include the Nexus One, HTC Evo, Motorola Droid(Milestone in Europe), etc.

However, both the Samsung Moment & HTC Hero do not have not ARM v7 (Cortex) processors. We will not be getting official Flash support, unfortunately. Blame it on Adobe. However, other phones such as T-Mobile G1, T-Mobile myTouch 3G, T-Mobile CLIQ, T-Mobile Behold II, Verizon Droid Eris, & Verizon Devour will also NOT be getting Flash.

You can read it on this page below, scroll down until you see the answer # 9. An employee of Adobe clearly states the HTC Hero will not be supported & the Moment doesn't have a ARM v7(Cortex) processor.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2579416#2579416

So no Flash for Hero's or Moment's. However, Adobe is working on a version of Flash Lite to fill in some of that gap & functionality. One alpha build of Flash Lite was able to play Farmville. So we will have to wait & see what happens with Flash Lite. Here is the official Adobe Mobile Blog post on the situation.

http://www.flashmobileblog.com/2010/03/02/flash-player-10-1-installations-and-updates/

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it is what it is. Peace.

Message was edited by: jogomez721

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat