cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Wimax Android phone - When?

Journeyman

HTC Wimax Android phone - When?

There been a few rumors circulating these past few days about a leaked Sprint 2010 roadmap: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/08/sprint-bringing-on-a9292-wimax-phone-from-htc/

Of particular interest has been the HTC A9292 Wimax phone.

I'm wondering that, if we accept this leaked screenshot as being true, when might we be able expect the device to be released.  How early do devices like this show up on Sprint databases before they become officially announced or offered for sale?

If anyone who's had previous experience could comment, that would be really helpful.  My contract expires soon, and while I'm fairly certain that this would be the device I would purchase if I were to stay with Sprint, it would be helpful for me to know realistically how long I might have to wait.  If the wait is too long and if this "leak" begins to appear rather dubious, I'll likely be leaving for another device at another carrier.

Thank you in advance!

17 REPLIES 17
Master

Re: HTC Wimax Android phone - When?

You aren't going to get any official information on this until it is released. Don't expect anything official to appear here on the forums until around the time it is going to be announced anyway (like within 24 hours).

Journeyman

So halcyoncmdr... unofficially, when do you think this device is going to come out?  Q2? Q3?

Journeyman

It will be leaked on Engadget, Android Central, or Phandroid 6 months before it is launched, so, in my estimation......3rd or 4th quarter at the earliest.

Journeyman

Agreed. That alone should probably have been our first indication that nothing exciting was going to be announced for Sprint at CES. If it were the case, we would have seen leaked pics and/or pretty solid info weeks, if not months in advance. N1 shots were on the web well before it launched and everyone knew the Hero was coming to Sprint many months before the announcement.

Journeyman

troyboytn wrote:

It will be leaked on Engadget, Android Central, or Phandroid 6 months before it is launched, so, in my estimation......3rd or 4th quarter at the earliest.

That's okay, I can't upgrade with the discount until October anyway...

With all the b*tching and moaning that I do on here I'm still glad to be with Sprint and be able to upgrade yearly instead of being stuck with a phone for 2 years like on all the other carriers.

Journeyman

Its not a smart phone.  its a candybar form factor. it maybe smart but are you really jonesing fo  a 1.5in screen to do all your work on?

Journeyman

Fortunately for we Sprint customers, the "candy bar" form factor is actually used rather loosely to describe many large touchscreen devices, including the HTC Hero and new Nexus One. 

Just check out cnet's review of the Nexus One: http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/htc-nexus-one-by/4505-6452_7-33906802.html

So hopefully, we have something to look forward to!

Journeyman

Here ya go

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/17/htc-supersonic-to-ring-in-wimax-on-sprint-android-style/

Wizard

Looks like Android on HD2 + WiMax = Supersonic.

Thank you Sprint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

Lets just hope that this WiMax phone we might be getting is a repackaging of the HD2 and not a cdma port of the Max 4G.

Hero + 3.8" 480x800 + 8GB Flash Memory - 5 MP camera = Max 4G (basically).

Don't get me wrong, I would still buy a cdma version of the Max 4G, it's just that the HD2 looks so much better.

Message was edited by DrCrunk to add proper hyperlinks

DrCrunk wrote:

Lets just hope that this WiMax phone we might be getting is a repackaging of the HD2 and not a cdma port of the Max 4G.

Hero + 3.8" 480x800 + 8GB Flash Memory - 5 MP camera = Max 4G (basically).

Don't get me wrong, I would still buy a cdma version of the Max 4G, it's just that the HD2 looks so much better.

Message was edited by DrCrunk to add proper hyperlinks

Here is the skinny from the Engadet Link provided above providing some of the specifications for the Supersonic....

• Codename is "Supersonic"
  • 4.3 inch non-AMOLED screen
  • Kickstand on back.
  • Run's Android 2.1 with HTC's Sense UI.
  • Model seen was white
  • Current software stack is buggy
  • Snapdragon processor fast - although processor was not confirmed.

Sounds like it has great potential!  Let's hope it includes on board flash memory!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat