cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Thanks for this thread, BTW... I'm on the fence too, but knowing that an update for Android 2.0 is coming to the Hero from the HTC boffins directly is a tipping point for me (source).  (Android 2.1 from XDA if you don't mind rooting your phone/losing warranty/TEP support.  To paraphrase George Carlin, I'm not a fan of 'double or nothing'.)  Much like when I bought the Moto Q9c two years ago, I learned a week before that Motorola was going to issue an update to WM 6.1, and they followed through. I do expect updates to the OS on a smartphone for AT LEAST one year post-release, particularly when a new version rolls off the conveyor before the phone releases.  (Two years of updates would be nice, but I understand the timeline on these devices doesn't lean anywhere close to "longevity".)

But I do prefer a hardware keyboard on my device, and I would otherwise prefer the Moment for the keyboard and faster hardware alone... If Samsung has ANY tip that the next release heals some of the bugs (speed up OS performance, fixes the battery consumption that so many are complaining about, butters wheat toast, etc.) even if it's a step to Donut instead of Eclair, I will go with a Moment.

But so far, "There's an update coming in 2010" is a little too vague for me.  Who's to say that the update is just a minor fix of their software rather than an Android update? (Which would be in line with prior Samsung smartphones on other platforms)  But then again, this is their first venture into Android. I might be wrong with my gut feeling and I may get a surprise.  Still, it's too much FUD for my taste.

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

nacho2k3 wrote:

... and fixes the battery consumption that so many are complaining about, ....

Having used more than one hero and moment, once the battery is run down dead and fully charged again the battery life is about the same.  High drain on the battery is unfortunately a side effect of a phone that does a lot.  Don't let the battery life scare you off.  GPS on the other hand....

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Part of me is choosing the Hero over the Moment due to "FUD."  However, my father has decided to go with the Moment.  As he already has a dedicated GPS unit, he didn't care that the Moment's GPS isn't working well.  The Airplane Mode issue doesn't seem to happen to every Moment, judging from the few people I communicated with who have it, so hopefully his will be free of that.  It is easy to turn that off, but if it keeps happening, I would be annoyed.  My father might not surf the web a ton on his phone, so he may be okay.  I think he's choosing the Moment because he really likes the slide out keyboard and the touch interface.  It will be very interesting to see how we like our Android phones and what kind of updates they get.

Too bad we didn't make our decisions when Best Buy had all phones for $30 off!  There's always a new sale.  Plus, if the phones end up on sale within 30 days (I think it is), Best Buy will refund the difference.

While it is not certain if the Hero is getting a 2.1 update, at the very least HTC has confirmed that they are working on an Android 2.0 update for it.  And who knows?  It might end up being 2.1.  Since I want my phone to have the warranty, I doubt I would ever root mine.  I'll just update it when HTC rolls out updates.

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

anindrew wrote:

Part of me is choosing the Hero over the Moment due to "FUD."  However, my father has decided to go with the Moment.  As he already has a dedicated GPS unit, he didn't care that the Moment's GPS isn't working well.  The Airplane Mode issue doesn't seem to happen to every Moment, judging from the few people I communicated with who have it, so hopefully his will be free of that.  It is easy to turn that off, but if it keeps happening, I would be annoyed.  My father might not surf the web a ton on his phone, so he may be okay.  I think he's choosing the Moment because he really likes the slide out keyboard and the touch interface.  It will be very interesting to see how we like our Android phones and what kind of updates they get.

...  And who knows?  It might end up being 2.1.  Since I want my phone to have the warranty, I doubt I would ever root mine.  I'll just update it when HTC rolls out updates.

Neither of the moments I used had the airplane mode issue.  Not having had the issue I haven't followed the posts.  Just to be sure, airplane mode turns off all radio components from what I understand.  That's wifi, and messaging and data and voice.   The big issue is you can miss incoming calls and messages because the "phone" component is turned off.  Not having had a phone with gps before that may also be turned off in airplane mode.  Southwest has no issue with gps units (it's nice to know what you see out the window!)  Delta and Northwest no gps, so my guess is gps is off also on airplane mode, but as you say, your father isn't concerned with the phones gps.  I'm confident the gps is a firmware fix, but horrified at how slow samsung/sprint (who knows where the blame lies) has taken care of it, I would think it would be a big E911 liability issue.

I was looking forward to having one unit to deal with, the phone means no need for the gps when driving, but it is also helpful in several other ways, but again I don't think it will be much longer for a fix.

I really do miss the touch pad and optical track ball, that was one of the best features of the moment.

Couldn't agree more on waiting for updates.  Not worth bricking the phone, the only thing I anxiously awaiting that the hero can't do now is google maps navigation, but again I have the standalone gps unit for when not local.

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Here's some more "FUD."  I have seen a lot of postings about dust getting under the screen of the Hero.  I was going to buy the HTC branded silicone case for it when I buy it, anyway, so that ought to help prevent that.  Does anyone here have "dust under the screen?"  If I get that issue, that is one thing that would make me switch to the Moment in a heartbeat.

Wizard

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

It seems you have already made your decision, but the here are my 2 cents about why I chose the Moment over the Hero:


  1. Keyboard and Screen Real Estate: The physical keyboard isn't just better at typing than the virtual one, it also saves you valuable screen real estate.  This is incredibly important to me as I often write email on my phone.  You can actually see the quoted email (or part of it) instead of having half the screen taken up by the keyboard.  Same with SMS threads.  You can see more of it if you have a slide out physical keyboard.
  2. Superior Processor and implication for software: An 800 MHz processor.  800 MHz.  On a tiny little device.  That's power.  Everything *is* more responsive on the Moment.  This also has implications for Android updates.  Why would someone build a phone with the power to carry tomorrow's OS without having the intention to put it on them?  Sprint does not want to leave the Moment behind, and the Moment's processor power is more suited for further updates (in time) than even the Hero.  Also, superior processor power means you can run more power-hungry apps, or more apps at the same time.
  3. AMOLED Beauty: Need I say more?  The screen is crisp - hell the display is better than most laptop screens I have come accross.

Yes, HTC customizes and gives you 7 home screens.  So what?  How many home screens do you really need?  How many aps do you use on a regular basis?  Each home screen of Android can hold up to 12 shortcuts to programs.  Do you really have more than 36 programs you access all the time?

Also, realize that the Moment is Samsung's first Android phone, so they can understandably be uneasy to release update details.  HTC has been doing Android for a while and has an infrstructure, which, to Samsung's credit, they are trying to successfully get in place.  Don't take the release of the first Samsung Android phone as a lack of commitment, take it as the beginning of it.

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Hi yfan: those are all the reasons I like the Moment.  The physical keyboard feels great, the screen is quite nice, and it is a little faster than the Hero.  You do have a decent point that Samsung's first Android phone is the beginning of their commitment.  It would just be nice for them to state that they are actively working on updating the Moment.  Even that would make me feel more confident in the device.  If they had the GPS working better, I'd be more tempted to try the device.

I thought my family would be buying the phones this week.  Unfortunately, my grandma in Florida injured herself and is in the hospital for up to two weeks.  She is relying on her current phone to make calls.  As she is the forth line on our share plan, we don't want to have her without a phone while she's in the hospital.  My parents are going to Florida sometime in the near future, so we will definitely need the phones before then.

I'll probably get my phone at Best Buy so that I'll be able to exchange it within 30 days if it's not working out.

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

yfan wrote:

It seems you have already made your decision, but the here are my 2 cents about why I chose the Moment over the Hero:


  1. Keyboard and Screen Real Estate: The physical keyboard isn't just better at typing than the virtual one, it also saves you valuable screen real estate.  This is incredibly important to me as I often write email on my phone.  You can actually see the quoted email (or part of it) instead of having half the screen taken up by the keyboard.  Same with SMS threads.  You can see more of it if you have a slide out physical keyboard.
  2. Superior Processor and implication for software: An 800 MHz processor.  800 MHz.  On a tiny little device.  That's power.  Everything *is* more responsive on the Moment.  This also has implications for Android updates.  Why would someone build a phone with the power to carry tomorrow's OS without having the intention to put it on them?  Sprint does not want to leave the Moment behind, and the Moment's processor power is more suited for further updates (in time) than even the Hero.  Also, superior processor power means you can run more power-hungry apps, or more apps at the same time.
  3. AMOLED Beauty: Need I say more?  The screen is crisp - **** the display is better than most laptop screens I have come accross.

Nicely put.  Both phones are awesome which is why this is such a tough decision.

  1. couldn't agree more.  I did find it very tiresome to enter any large amount of text, but I guess that would be true of any keyboard on a phone this size to a point.  You left out a big selling point, when slid out, when you go to menu if you input a letter you will only see apps with that letter.  Input g you would get all apps that begin GPS and google for example.  Input m you would get Music and mileage, etc.  I'm pretty sure I did the same with contacts, big selling point.
  2. Good point but not currently signifigant.  You can run vista on a pentium 3 if you want to wait all day, the big concern is RAM which I don't see anyone posting on the new phones so I don't know where the moment and hero are on this front.  I do know that is why the G1 may not be able to use android 2.0, not clock speed.  All these devices are also going to take a lot of wear and tear and there is a lot to go wrong, with a sliding keyboard if it lasts 2 years you will be extremely lucky. I'll consider myself lucky if 2 out of our 3 heroes makes it 2 years.  My daughter in law's Katalyst sliding keyboard went crazy after about 6 months and was not abused and that is much less complicated and tighter in the slide than the moment. I'm confident android updates for the next year will be usable on the current 528 class phones, it will just take longer to load and may not run quite as smoothly.  The G1 can still run everything that the moment can including google navigation the moment can't, it's been out for 13 months and had all it's major components working well out of the box.  Power hungry apps also use battery power which is serious consideration.  I see no noticable difference on speed with the moment vs. hero except on boot up and that I'd lay most of the blame on the sense ui.
  3. Beautiful but washes out more in bright light.  I did read in one review that it would be expected to be more rugged though.

Good luck to all those who have to make this "terrible" decision.  It's nice to have such a daunting choice to make.  If it wasn't for the 2 year contract it wouldn't be that hard!

Wizard

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

anindrew wrote:

Hi yfan: those are all the reasons I like the Moment.  The physical keyboard feels great, the screen is quite nice, and it is a little faster than the Hero.  You do have a decent point that Samsung's first Android phone is the beginning of their commitment.  It would just be nice for them to state that they are actively working on updating the Moment.  Even that would make me feel more confident in the device.  If they had the GPS working better, I'd be more tempted to try the device.

I thought my family would be buying the phones this week.  Unfortunately, my grandma in Florida injured herself and is in the hospital for up to two weeks.  She is relying on her current phone to make calls.  As she is the forth line on our share plan, we don't want to have her without a phone while she's in the hospital.  My parents are going to Florida sometime in the near future, so we will definitely need the phones before then.

I'll probably get my phone at Best Buy so that I'll be able to exchange it within 30 days if it's not working out.

Re: GPS and aGPS.  I did have some problem with it at the beginning.  So I took it into my local Sprint store and they took a look at it and said they updated the software.  I haven't had any problems since.  And I should notice if there are problems.  I am somebody who tends to get lost everywhere, so I use GPS, Sprint Nav (to drive) and Google Maps (to find places and walking directions in a new place) all the time.

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandma.  Hope she is doing better and that she recovers soon.

Wizard

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

98clru wrote:

  1. Good point but not currently signifigant.  You can run vista on a pentium 3 if you want to wait all day, the big concern is RAM which I don't see anyone posting on the new phones so I don't know where the moment and hero are on this front.  I do know that is why the G1 may not be able to use android 2.0, not clock speed.  All these devices are also going to take a lot of wear and tear and there is a lot to go wrong, with a sliding keyboard if it lasts 2 years you will be extremely lucky. I'll consider myself lucky if 2 out of our 3 heroes makes it 2 years.  My daughter in law's Katalyst sliding keyboard went crazy after about 6 months and was not abused and that is much less complicated and tighter in the slide than the moment. I'm confident android updates for the next year will be usable on the current 528 class phones, it will just take longer to load and may not run quite as smoothly.  The G1 can still run everything that the moment can including google navigation the moment can't, it's been out for 13 months and had all it's major components working well out of the box.  Power hungry apps also use battery power which is serious consideration.  I see no noticable difference on speed with the moment vs. hero except on boot up and that I'd lay most of the blame on the sense ui.

Included RAM in both the Moment and the Hero is 288 MiB, with a ROM of 512 MiB.  The Moment has a 64 MiB secondary ROM capacity that the Hero does not have.  Here are the specifications for the Moment and the Hero.  So no, memory-wise, they are not that different, and you're right, it's not a question of whether the 528 phones will run the Android updates.  It's a question of how well and how fast they will run the Android updates and equally advancing apps (let's not forget about the apps).  The reason the Moment or the Hero won't run Google Maps Nav is not the hardware.  Android 1.6 or higher is required for Google Maps Nav.

98clru wrote:


  1. Beautiful but washes out more in bright light.  I did read in one review that it would be expected to be more rugged though.

I have used it in pretty bright light, never had a problem with the screen.  The review web sites out there keep saying that, but none of them actually verify it by going outside in the sun.  I can tell you from personal experience that the AMOLED screen works quite well in bright light.  Let the Moment auto-set screen brightness and it's even better.

Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Thanks for the well wishes for my grandma!  I do hope she recovers soon.  It's weird to say this, but by having more time before purchasing the phones, I can weigh my options for a bit longer.  I'm still leaning towards the Hero more all while finding the Moment to be oh so tempting, too.  I'm sure I'll visit the Sprint store yet again.  The knowledge I've gained from these forums should greatly help my decision.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Having the hardest time choosing between Hero and Moment

Yes, when the phone thinks it has enough battery left to actually run the display at full brightness, the screen isn't really any worse than the Hero's LCD in sunlight, however since the phone often (usually) thinks it is below 15% at about the 60% mark, yes, the screen washes out to completely unusable brightness *LONG* before the Hero does.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat