cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Sprint Doesn't Get the iPhone . . . ?

Highlighted

If Sprint Doesn't Get the iPhone . . . ?

I want an iPhone but my Sprint contract is not up until May 2011. This means I'm not going to be able to switch to Verizon or AT&T anytime soon. So if Sprint doesn't get the iPhone then I'm out of luck unless I try the Android. Does the Android allow tethering and, if so, does it work well?

I already have high-speed internet service at home for my laptop but I can't afford to pay for a smartphone data plan on top of that. I was hoping to cancel my home internet service and use that money to get a smartphone (whether it be an iPhone or Android) IF I can figure out how to do tethering and run my laptop off my smartphone.

Bonus question: My laptop is dying and I will need to replace it soon. Do I need to look for any certain specs on a new laptop so that I will have the capability of tethering? (I need to get a real laptop with a real keyboard as I do a lot of typing on my laptop so an iPad probably wouldn't work for me).

Thanks for any help or info you can provide.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: If Sprint Doesn't Get the iPhone . . . ?

I have serious doubts that Sprint will ever get an iPhone, so I wouldnt wait too long for one to arrive. Adroid phones can do tethering, but Sprint discourages it. There are programs out there for Android that allow you to use your phone as a modem (PAM), but be warned that your "unlimited" data plan is really capped at 5GB per month and you dont want to end up like this guy http://www.switched.com/2007/12/14/man-gets-slapped-with-85-000-cell-phone-bill/

Journeyman

I have an android phone and use it for tethering all the time, with an application called pdanet. My laptop is 3 years old and running windows vista 32bit. Now, with pdanet the first 30 days are free ,after that you can still use it but https are blocked unless you buy the paid version, which i believe is somewhere around 25-30 bucks. Whats nice is, its only a 1 time fee, not monthly. Also with an unlimited data plan, its just that unlimited. There is no 5gb cap. Thats only for the mobile broadband cards, and only the 3g ones. The 4g are also unlimited

Info here: http://www.junefabrics.com/android/index.php

Wizard

HunterA3 wrote:

I have serious doubts that Sprint will ever get an iPhone, so I wouldnt wait too long for one to arrive. Adroid phones can do tethering, but Sprint discourages it. There are programs out there for Android that allow you to use your phone as a modem (PAM), but be warned that your "unlimited" data plan is really capped at 5GB per month and you dont want to end up like this guy http://www.switched.com/2007/12/14/man-gets-slapped-with-85-000-cell-phone-bill/

Sprint's data plans for phones have no limit on data, but do not permit tethering (use of "phone as modem" or PAM).  Many users apparently use tethering anyway, but if you were to use it for your only home Internet access, you would likely trigger flags with the heavy bursts of usage.

The 5GB monthly limit on data does not apply to phones, but only to mobile broadband cards and the like; and, if you have PAM as a paid option on your plan, it does apply to that also.

Journeyman

I was not aware that Sprints data plan was truly unlimited. Many other carriers advertise unlimited but it's really 5GB a month. I assumed that Sprint was doing the same. Still when I talked to a Sprint employee about hacking my Instinct to use as a modem, he warned me that if they see heavy use indicative of using your phone as a modem, the can cut your service off or charge you extra fees, especially if you do not have that on your plan.

Journeyman

Yup, it really is unlimited.. I go over 5GB practically every month because we stream Pandora and last FM while exercising not to mention Sprint TV while at the office and they never said anything. I double and triple checked the fine print, and the limit only applies to

"(Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem)" not to regular phone plans.......Sweet

Go Sprint, and least they got this right, hope they don't screw it up..

Journeyman

I used to use my phone to tether my laptop.. in return I Networked Bridged to my Xbox to go on Xbox live and play online. It was laggy 50% of the time but it worked. I'd play for hours on end. I'd use a lot more than 5GB 

Wizard

The upcoming HTC Evo may be usable as a mobile hotspot for, I think, up to eight devices.  However, it's possible they could charge for this feature.

Using a laptop heavily while tethering, I would think, would eventually get you in hot water over data use.  But, like someone said, they're not bothering people yet.

If on a budget, I'd look into getting the slowest speed possible for home internet for your laptop.  That's about 768 kbps and is adequate for general internet use, and only $15 to $20 a month.

You need WiFi capability on a laptop for communicating with a mobile hotspot.

Message was edited by: seeblue

Journeyman

This post is being closed as its run its course and current conversations are no longer relevant to the original post.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat