cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im still torn between the moment and hero

Highlighted
Journeyman

Im still torn between the moment and hero

I will be coming to Sprint on Tuesday. I have been researching both the moment and the hero for months now. I still am unable to make up my mind. There are things about both devices I love and hate. The moment is a beautiful phone IMO with the software to back it up. But while it is only running 1.5 there are problems with aGPS which i use often. Also the battery not displaying the actually reading. The physical keyboard is amazing. I am coming from helio/virgin mobile. I had the Ocean 2 which also has the space between the B and V keys.

The hero on the other hand is also a beautiful device. I have used a friends mytouch so the on screen keyboard is not a problem. My gripe with the hero is the missing proximity sensor, the underpowered processor especially running sense, and also the problem with dust getting under the screen. The processor in the hero is its major flaw i believe because that is hardware and can not be changed.

I just need help which phone I should buy. I know both phones are getting the 2.0 update and will hopefully fix the moments bugs. but the update wont be coming out for who knows what part of the first half of the year. I dont wanna be with a phone i cant use to its potential for the next 6 months if the update comes in june.

I was also going to maybe wait and see if the htc bravo comes to sprint. But i only have until jan 10th to get out of my current contract with no ETF. Someone help me please lol.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Im still torn between the moment and hero

I looked at both phones too at the Sprint store. One of the employees touted the Hero as being the phone everyone at the store was getting. They liked the HTC Sense UI. Which is cool I have to say. I on the other hand was looking at the Processor speed and the updates that will be coming such as 2.0 since I will have this phone for 2 years before I can upgrade to newer and better. I have heard of people already complaining of slow speed on the Hero, I don't really know cause I never owned one. The Samsung Moment will be getting 2.0 Android, already has a faster processor and I have not had any speed issues yet with 1.5, it also sports a slideout keyboard. It has an Amoled screen and looks great and the camera works well also. I chose the Moment. I hope this helps you decide

Journeyman

We have a few of each phone in the family...so here is a quick rundown..

Moment - love the physical keyboard, cannot handle a virtual one due to fat fingers. Screen is magnificent, fast processor, lots of future potential desipte a few quirks.  It is heavier and thicker, but I have long since gotten used to it. Feels solid and well built...Have not had any problems with GPS, airplane mode, etc.It is ashame that such a brand new phone so desperately needs an update already (to 2.0), but I am happy with it the way it is today.

HTC - interface is slick..but as Android matures I think the value of it will diminish. lighter and thinner but only a virtual keyboard. Processor is much slower than Moment...and this may hurt in 6 to 12 months as more apps are loaded and Android is beefed up. Camera is better than Moment, but I can live with a 3.2 MPxl just as well as a 5.0.   HTC is very popular, and I think that means that many of the Android Market apps that are released are certain to work perfectly on a Hero while they may not be perfect on the Moment. I already have downloaded a few apps on the Moment that force close and do not work,.

So If you can live with a virtual keyboard and are living in the present...an HTC may be your best bet. If you like the physical keyboard and are thinking more about the future, I would vote for the Moment.

Journeyman

I got the Samsung Moment over the Hero about 30 days ago & regret nothing.  This phone meets & exceeds all my needs.

L.o.v.e. the physical keyboard.  The software keyboard is good too, but the Android market has "Better Keyboard" & a lot of mods for it.  I barely use my talk mins but my Internet usage is off the charts, but with (Everything Data - with Any Mobile, Anytime) its no problem.  Best plan going from any provider.  The AM-OLED screen is unmatched in crisp vibrant colors, & man this thing is fast.  The GPS I noticed you were concerned about... may I ask why?  I use mine all the time & it is accurate & works well.  Why did you not expect it too?  The 1.5 firmware will be updated in first half of 2010 per Sprint, but its a non issue, it really works quite well now.  The Only complaint I might nit-pick on is the lack of 'extras' for the phone out there right now, but I did get it the first day it was offered; (some 30 days ago) so that will change with a little time.

I initially went in to buy the Palm Pre, but the physical keyboard was to small,  my thumb covered 7-8 keys.  it totally thru me for a loop, i had done extensive research online +100hrs of checking out the different phones form all carriers.  Finally i decided on Sprint; The very best plans, good provider & great phone line-up.  Then I decided on the Pre, loved the OS & looks & features that other phones lacked... but then I held it, & it just didn't fit, I can't really put it into words... it just wasn't right for me.

Then i looked at the Hero, nice features sexy lines, great phone... but no physical keyboard, 'not quite a deal-breaker but enough for me to keep looking.  I had planned to go right in the store & buy the Pre, 15 min in-&-out... yea, right.

I next went on the Moment, I liked the substance of the phone.  Not flimsy, or plastic-ey (is that a word?) but it felt good.

then the keyboard slid out while I was manipulating it, WOW!  This might be the one for me.  Its an Android?! Wow!.

This Is The Phone for me.

No regrets since

Love it, absolutely love it.

Hope this help you deside.

Did i mention this thing is smokin' fast???

Journeyman

Here is my input.,

Moment has the faster processor so it will prevail over the Hero with future Android.

The camera is only 3.2 but has a flash and takes better pics than the Hero's 5.0 with no flash (not upgradable). The camera app is standard Android for  1.5 but when upgraded to 2.0 will get additional features.

The GPS issue (not totally a problem) will get resolved with the Android update.

Battery issue resolves itself after a couple of weeks.  Phone charge last longer after repeated charge/use/dead, charge/use/dead, charge/use/dead and so on.  The standard battery status is off calibration and is listed as a bug (so it should be addressed in future updates).

Yes it is a little thicker than the Hero.  Can be expected with the slide out qwerty.  I like a good sized phone anyhow.

Yes the plain Android is not as flashy as the Sense UI on the Hero.  Easy to customize.  Also, I noticed that some apps don't work on the Hero but do on the Moment.  I look at the comments on the apps.  I see does not work on Droid, does not work on Cliq, does not work on Behold, and does not work on Hero,.  Droid is explainable as the fact that it has 2.0.  Hero, behold and Cliq is an issue with their custom overlays not working with some apps.  Not a big issue since most apps are updated to correct the problems with the overlays.

Message was edited by: dayvedayve

Journeyman

Simo78's review is almost word for word what I would have written except he had the advantage of a month of use of moment, not the week I had but his hardware issues were worse.  See: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/139597#139597

My own input:

I got 3 hero's on a family plan.   I wanted a moment but no demo available. Wife loves hero, no thought of moment.  My 20year old son was adamant, need the slide out keyboard, after a year with a G1 had seen how G1 blew Iphones out of the water for text entry, would not consider hero.

I gave the hero a week, liked it but hated virtual keyboard so went back to best buy and got 2 moments.  Loved flash (never used it but loved knowing it was there).  Loved how sliding keyboard gives full screen for use when landscaped.   Screen was nice  but not noticably  better unless side by side (remember wife still had hero).  Speed not noticably different except on boot up.

Moment crashed much more than hero (2x in a week a compared to none in the full month we have had 1 hero no crashed on other 2 heroes in the 3 weeks we've )had  them. Using the same apps in same way.  My son was continuing to use his G1, he was that sure he would prefer the moment he didn't even need to try before dropping tmobile.  Then he had some time to kill, tried the hero because his battery on the G1 was low and I had discovered the "compact qwerty" keyboard, was adamant he wanted hero.

Final straw with moment was when the camera app wouldn't show subject of pic so you were shooting by estimate.  Tried reboot, battery pull, no improvement.  Had to do a factory reset (lost EVERYTHING I had installed/entered thankfully contacts backed up on gmail but apps had to be reinstalled) to get it to work again.

I had been putting up with the gps being next to useless on BOTH moments.   It must be an inconsistent problem because so many people say no problem.  I couldn't get it to keep a fix at 30mph when the hero next to it had no problem at all.  I know the gps hardware works, gps status app shows that but when hero would get 8 satellites, moment would get six.  I'm sure when they get the aGPS fixed (doubt they will wait for 2.0 to fix, would be horrified if they did wait that long) it will work fine when you have the tower signal to augment the satellite.  No guess if the aGPS fix will help when not in coverage area.

Battery life is about same once moment drained dead 2x.  Accessories easier, cheaper (?) for hero as it uses mini usb not micro.

The speaker phone is good on the hero but much better on the moment but moment's not as good on my 2 year old curve.

I'm sure when the gps is fixed the moment will be a great phone.  I just don't see the hardware liability of sliding keyboard being worth the advantage  (I didn't find it comfortable for large amount of entry, keys too far apart, need to press too deep to register.)

Strongly suggest whatever you decide go with best buy if you have one nearby.  They were great through the whole process, no restocking fees, all the local sprint stores near me are franchises anyway.  Had the price drop 2x so I went from $178 to $50 no rebate involved, sprint store can't beat that.

Good luck.  The reason it's so hard is the choice is so close!

Message was edited by: 98clru

Journeyman

It's hard to argue with someone that has both. My wife and I both have Moments. Mine is "Open Home", hers is cupcake, right out of the box, with apps from the market to fill the three pages. My buddy has a Hero. I see the pro and cons. However, I could not type on the Hero. I'm a speed demon on the Moment. My processor is faster and my screen is much brighter and more saturated. That said I liked the Hero. I just couldn't type on it, without constantly making mistakes. I can handle all of my email on the Moment, just like a computer and it doesn't announce to the recipient, that the message is coming from a phone.

Message was edited by: Keyspke

Journeyman

Both the Hero and the Moment have their pluses and minus'. The Hero is highly customizable with many more features with HTC Sence than the Moments standard Android ui. The moment has a clearer amoled display (although in direct sunlight...not as clear as the Hero). The moment has a faster processor (though not noticably faster in the real world). The Hero has more ram (also not noticably faster in the real world). There is currently a problem with the Youtube app in the Hero preventing it from playing many videos. There is a problem with the Moments GPS and airplane mode (fixed by most, but not all with the Moments latest update). The Moment has a cam flash, Hero doesnt. Hero has 5mp cam, Moment is only 3.2mp. Hero has Exchange (corp. mail) support, Moment doesnt. The Moment has a proximity sensor, Hero doesnt. The Hero has a very good virtual keyboard, with auto corrrect, T9....the Moment has a very good physical keyboard. It really boils down to a preference with all the aove.

These are just a examples. Ultimately, current users of these phones cannot make your mind. You must go play with working demos in a Sprint store or at Bestbuy. Doing this will help you decide better than we can.

Btw, I highly recommend the Hero....even with its quirks.

Journeyman

Keyspke wrote:

It's hard to argue with someone that has both. My wife and I both have Moments. Mine is "Open Home", hers is cupcake, right out of the box, with apps from the market to fill the three pages. My buddy has a Hero. I see the pro and cons. However, I could not type on the Hero. I'm a speed demon on the Moment. My processor is faster and my screen is much brighter and more saturated. That said I liked the Hero. I just couldn't type on it, without constantly making mistakes. I can handle all of my email on the Moment, just like a computer and it doesn't announce to the recipient, that the message is coming from a phone.

Message was edited by: Keyspke

Might be slightly off topic but the email message text "coming from [my] phone" thing is just the default signature, and can be deleted or changed via email account settings. Mine now says "This space intentionally not left blank."

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat