Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Android too much for me to handle?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is Android too much for me to handle?

Hi-

I currently have a Katana DLX.  I am nearing my time to get a new phone and was looking at the various touch screens.  I am new to texting (although my current phone does not make that easy) and not too technologically savvy.  I love surfing the net, joing in on discussion groups, and would like to text more.   I do not need a phone for buisness...I'm a stay at home mom.

Would the Hero or the Moment be more phone then I need?  Is it hard to learn?

Thanks for your help.

Kim

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Go to the Sprint store and play with the phone. It is not an easy phone when you are used to "basic" models. You may want to check out the Instinct HD.  I would recomend waiting until the 1st of November to look at the Samsung Moment if you want the Android

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went from having a Motorola RAZR to having a Cingular 8525 when I first got a smart phone. I only got the 8525 because of the full text keyboard and I hated texting with T9. It took me a year to get really into the Operating System (Windows Mobile), but I did. Now I cannot imagine life without a Smart Phone. An Android phone is somewhat on the complex side, the Palm Pre and Samsung Instincts are a little easier to use for a first timer. But it is all up to you how much you want to use and learn the phone. Anyone can handle it, the question is do you want to?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is what I was afraid of.  I wanted something comparable to the iphone, without switching to AT&T.  I was also looking at the Pre and the soon to be released Pixi (but I hate that they do not have SD card slots).  I was also planning to check out the Moment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Definitely go to the store (Best Buy or Sprint) and try using the Hero.  It has a very iPhone-like experience when texting as compared to non-smartphones but that's about where the similarities end.  If the touch screen (which takes some getting used to, but the auto-correct is quite good) is not to your liking then I'd check out the Moment when it arrives.  You'll still have Android, the Android Market, all the web surfing and texting as you would with the Hero but you'll have a physical keyboard to type with which I enjoyed immensely on the HTC Touch Pro.

I'm getting to like the virtual keyboard and can type messages faster with it now than when I first got it a week or so ago, but it's not going to be everyone's slice of cake.  Nothing beats a test drive!

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

It sounds like the Pre or the Pixie would be a better fit for you than the Hero. The Hero seems more geared towards people who are a bit more experienced with advanced technology and want to be able to totally customize their phone. Its a great phone, but might be a bit daunting for someone who is coming from a Katana.

The Pre's software is a lot easier to just pick up and run with, but also has the smooth touch screen interface and a growing applications catalog. From the sound of your typical usage, I don't think the lack of a removable SD card would be an issue for you. Thats still a lot of memory for a phone, especially for someone who currently does not download a lot of applications or use it for business applications. You can still attach it to your PC with a cord to transfer any files if that is your concern.

The Instinct family of phones (M800, S30 and Instinct HD) are all also nice option for someone who is looking for a bridge between a powerful smart phone, and more of an entertainment feature phone. Might want to check that out also.

If you decided to go with something outside the touch screen phones, the Reclaim and the HTC Snap are both good phones for someone who is wanting to get into a more full featured phone and increased texting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks so much for all of your help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why don't you try a Blackberry?  They are VERY user friendly!  I get Facebook on it, my personal emails, texting is super-easy, and the learning curve is pretty flat even for me   They also have a mini-SD expansion slot.  I LOVE my Blackberry Curve, but the new Tour is faster with more memory.  Seriously, try a Blackberry.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband has a Curve and I have played with it.  I am just not a fan (although it is so much better then my phone).  I want full web pages and not just the mobile ones.

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Definitely look into the Pre or the Pixie when it comes out. The Pre browser is VERY nice. Very comparable to the iPhone browser.

The Hero also has a very nice browser, but as discussed, the learning curve on that phone is a bit higher than on the Pre.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Palm Pre also has a help section with Video Walkthroughs that show you how to do all the fun stuff.

I had another thought. Here are the tutorial sites for a couple phones. Go and try them out and see if one is easier than the others. All three of these phones have great web browsers, WIFI, and a slew of features for you to play with.

HTC HERO

PALM PRE

SAMSUNG INSTINCT HD

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat