cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life left in EVO and Epic in 2011? Upgrade or wait?!

Highlighted
Journeyman

So in Jan my family account is up for renewal, and both phones get an upgrade. We had been set on the EVO and the Epic, but with CES around the corner I dont want to hop on these phones, which we will be stuck with for at least a year likely, just to have them become obsolete and discontinued by Spring. I do know about the Shift, but it doesnt seem to compete with either of these phones, just dont know if something else will drop by mid-year that will.

Regardless of what does come out, how much life is left in the EVO and its support? Should I wait as long as possible (mid Feb) to upgrade and see what comes out if anything, or should I just leap into these phones which are great and at the top of the game for now?

Thanks for the suggestions.

5 REPLIES 5
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Life left in EVO and Epic in 2011? Upgrade or wait?!

Both are still leading edge phones. Upgrade.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

my upgrade was due in Jan, I was going to wait to see what the anouncement on Feb 7th would entail, but I got tired of waiting, been wantng the Evo ever since its release date, and I am loving it!!!!!

Journeyman

One of my buds made a great point if you wait for the "Next big thing" in tech ... there is always going to be another next big thing coming down the pipe that you might read about on a blog somewhere. I hope you got what you wanted!

I personally have an EVO and have enjoyed it for almost a year now. I see that there is an EVO 3D coming soon and kind of want it, but not bad enough without a full upgrade available to me so in my case I want to wait for that. Personally I think that HTC has supported the EVO phone better than most others on the Sprint network and with 2 whole Android OS upgrades (stock 2.1 when I got it then to 2.2 and just now the 2.3.3 Gingerbread!) since I got the original EVO I have to say I am pretty impressed by the continued support. I see that the Samesung EPIC also got an upgrade to 2.2 which is very nice as well.

Basically it all boils down to what you want and how much you want to spend if you always want the next big thing I have heard about a buy back deal by Sprint so you can try to go that right and try to always have the new thing. If you just wanted a good powerful phone either of your choices would not do you wrong and neither would waiting.

Wizard

Yeah, the EVO 3D is the next big gadget and the first cell phone to feature 3D, but people need to stop and think about this.  3D is only limited to the phone, specifically the screen.  It does no good elsewhere, I think, if I am understanding that correctly.  A lot of people will grab it and be so excited, but the trend will go downhill quickly on the 3D part.  Just about everywhere online, computer screens/monitors, televisions, etc...are not 3D yet...not that I'm aware of, unless I'm wrong.  Going for the biggest and latest gadget will not always be the best decision, but preference falls on each person and their level of understanding.

Wizard

The EVO is still a great phone but as things move forward it will be left behind for dual core. It may see one more update if it's lucky but everythingis going multicore.

The 3D aspect od the EVO 3D is more of a gimmic in the end and LG is also making a 3D phone that will be on another carrier. If it was me I would wait and see what the next couple months bring from HTC, Motorola and Samsung.

All multicore phones and and all will out perform the last gens like the EVO and EPIC.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat