Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK Sprint: Where's our 2.1?

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK Sprint: Where's our 2.1?

We need another update.

Since a 2.1 ROM has leaked for the Hero, us Moment users feel like we want our piece of the pie.  Any new news?  Pretty please?:)

30 REPLIES 30
Journeyman

Re: OK Sprint: Where's our 2.1?

"COMING SOON!"

Haha, I know it is the worst response ever...but there is no real date made yet...when the release date is firm, then everyone will know..it will be posted on these forums, mobile blogs, mobile websites, etc...right now we just have to wait...I know it is not the answer you are looking for, but there is no confirmed date as of yet

Journeyman

Oh yes, I know it hasn't been announced yet.  And I'm sure I'll know the instant it's rolled out.

I'm just hoping a Sprint Admin or someone who knows anything about this update will chime in and spill their guts with an official update.

Yeah, I know it's a lot to ask... but I'm not giving up on this.  My Samsung Moment is crippled and 2.1 is will be my saviour. 

And please, before you trolls start running your mouths (and I'm not directing this at you Chiccora):  I understand that I need to be patient, and I understand that they have already said early 2Q.  Oh yeah and also if you're tired of people like me that keep inquiring about this, then just go ahead and click that little ignore button, because I'm not going to stop.

Journeyman

Haha,

I am pretty sure the entire Android population of the world wants their 2.1 update.

Admins such as Sarah keep us posted with sticky topics regarding things like this..If we had to put money on this update, I would say end of April...April 27th to be exact Haha

Journeyman

I certainly hope it's sooner than that, unless the Nexus One, EVO, and Hero 2 are well off into late summer arrivals.

Though, ultimately Sprint ends up with a slew of 2.1 Android smart phones as a result, I find it difficult to think that stacking events too closely will result in positive sales for one or both ends of the spectrum. A late release will either cause people to hold off buying a new Hero or Moment in favor of getting a N1 or EVO, or they will get their 2.1 upgrade and then become indifferent to the arrival of the newer phones now that they have their upgrade to play with.

Journeyman

infamousjax wrote:

Oh yes, I know it hasn't been announced yet.  And I'm sure I'll know the instant it's rolled out.

I'm just hoping a Sprint Admin or someone who knows anything about this update will chime in and spill their guts with an official update.

Yeah, I know it's a lot to ask... but I'm not giving up on this.  My Samsung Moment is crippled and 2.1 is will be my saviour. 

And please, before you trolls start running your mouths (and I'm not directing this at you Chiccora):  I understand that I need to be patient, and I understand that they have already said early 2Q.  Oh yeah and also if you're tired of people like me that keep inquiring about this, then just go ahead and click that little ignore button, because I'm not going to stop.

infamousjax,

Your Samsung Moment cannot  be "crippled." As long as it makes calls, browses the web, sends & recieves text, is able to connect to a wireless network, able to connect to the Android Market, & operates as it was intended, then you cannot call your phone "crippled." Just because it cannot access features for Android 1.6, 2.0, & 2.1, that's a design limit imposed by the app designers. If your phone can't do that, the limited one year warranty should allow you to get your phone replaced. 3 bad replacements & you'll get a new phone.

My take:

I am really getting sick of people complaining that the Moment or the Hero is "crippled" because it doesn't have 1.6, 2.0, or 2.1 update or apps. These handsets were specifically designed with Android 1.5 (aka: Cupcake). That's like complaining that you want Aero Snaps from Windows 7 on Windows XP. Sorry, but Microsoft isn't going to backport advanced features to an old OS. You have to wait or pay to upgrade to the existing version. I remember some girl asked for Microsoft to release the beta of Windows 7 as the final version. Thank goodness they didn't listen to that noise. They followed the course & released a stellar product after a good beta & release candidate program. You guys are simply going to have to what you don't want to do.

No amount of guess work is going to make Android 2.1 come any faster. It's utterly pointless. Now if it becomes May 1st & there's no update, feel free to open the floodgates of complaints. In the meantime, patience is a virture that many people need & should start learning.

My advice? Sit down, be quiet, & wait UNTIL SPRINT IS DONE. No amount of complaining is going to change that. They aren't going to release an update that could brick phones & cost them in replacements. After seeing what happened with the Samsung Instinct's MR6 & other untested updates, Sprint's taking a different path.

Frankly, I couldn't be happier with my Moment. You couldn't pry it from my hands. Compared to the craptastic fun that was Instinct, I'm am totally satisfied with Android. Do I want 2.1? Sure. But I don't want the update to brick my phone. I simply see Android 1.5 aka Cupcake like Windows Vista. Good but needing some finetuning. I see Android 2.1 aka Eclair as the Windows 7 polish & finish. As the old expression goes, "All good things come to those who wait."

Besides, Google's already working on Fro-Yo & Gingerbread. Are you guys gonna complain about stuff being "crippled" when Android 2.5 apps aren't available for upgraded 2.1 devices? Give me a break! Eventually the updates will come come.

Journeyman

Hopefully when FroYo and better comes out, there will be less dependence on the latest and greatest OS and therefore less dependence on the carriers to vet a new OS so current and future features are not lacking during the wait.

Unlike Palm, who is taking a more closed system approach to their Linux distro (aka slow and deliberate), Google is taking the more mainstream approach--much like many of the PC linux distributors do. They release new versions at a breakneck pace and often times older versions are quickly obsoleted in the process, though they are perfectly good distros.

I think that's what's going on here with Android, only mobile carriers are a little new to the fast paced game of rapid releases that Linux hacks are use to. Couple that with the growing gap between rev levels on some phones, the fact that hackers are creating custom ROMs for some phones still waiting on official ROMs, and you begin to see why some are getting frustrated.

Could all of this been avoided by Sprint saying they have no interest in updating the OS or releasing it without any advanced notice? Sure. But that would put them at a competitive disadvantage to the other carriers that are being more open and vocal.

No, I think Sprint has to walk a fine line here and part of the results of that course is some people complaining. You cant please everyone all the time. You've just got to please as many people when it's all said and done and the only way to do that is by doing what you think is the right thinig to do. I believe Sprint is doing just that. They've just got a small window of opportunity to get it done without risking too much on either side of that window.

Journeyman

jogomez721 states:

Your Samsung Moment cannot  be "crippled." As long as it makes calls, browses the web, sends & recieves text, is able to connect to a wireless network, able to connect to the Android Market, & operates as it was intended, then you cannot call your phone "crippled." Just because it cannot access features for Android 1.6, 2.0, & 2.1, that's a design limit imposed by the app designers. If your phone can't do that, the limited one year warranty should allow you to get your phone replaced. 3 bad replacements & you'll get a new phone.

According to some of the posts I have read regarding the Hero, and some of the replies from Sprint Admins, there are several important updates that some people MUST have in order to use their phones properly or for texting. You are incorrect to flatly state that a phone cannot be "crippled" when, if fact, many users are having difficulty using their phones day-to-day because NEEDED updates have not been implemented.

Journeyman

Thank you, Chiccora.    The 27th seems like it could be an interesting day.  The Sprint facebook event for EVO seems to end on the 26th as does the contest for the S|P Perks.  Wonder what else might be happening on April 27th....  let the speculative arguments within my head begin.

Journeyman

Testing is going well and still on track for early 2Q.

Journeyman

izzyks wrote:

Testing is going well and still on track for early 2Q.

"And now, for something completely different." 

Journeyman

Well, what do you expect? The very first sticky post says they cant divulge certain information even if we ask. How many ways can they say when the 2.1 update is to be released given that constraint?

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat