cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK Sprint: Where's our 2.1?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: OK Sprint: Where's our 2.1?

I've seen a lot of Android 2.1 threads. I decided not to really partake in them, but I guess it's okay to say my peice. I'll ask a question with a question:

Can you deliver on a promised deadline?

They made an announcement and I see a wide range of discussions on this topic from panic to conspircy theories. I find all these posts entertaining, but let's be honest: there's too much complaining.

If I defend Sprint, my ratings for this post will be low. If I go against Sprint, my ratings for this post will be high. But at the end of the day, it's just another day closer to Android 2.1 on the Hero. Will it be a good day? Perhaps. But for now, let's stop with the Android 2.1 demands and perhaps ask a more productive question:

What improvements will this make to the phone itself?

I rather know what I can gain in the meantime, not all these unproductive rants.

Journeyman

April 9th is the leaked date that i found when i googled that question....who knows?

Journeyman

Actually Mr. Troll - my phone _is_ crippled.  I'd go as far to say that it's still not ready to be released to the public.  You mentioned all the things that it CAN do but however failed to mention that it does not do these things consistently.  You also didn't mention the CDMA lockups, UAM (unwanted airplone mode), non-accuarate GPS readings, and overall just a general buggy operating system.

Look at it this way:  We spent a lot of money on our phones, and understand that our "phone" is much more than just a telephone in this day and age.  We rely on our phone for emails, internet browsing, picture taking, and much much more.  Since Sprint didn't seem to take the time to make sure this device functions the way it was advertised and since I'm paying top dollar for an unlimited data plan, I think I should be privelaged to able to express my concerns.

In no way am I saying that my phone is crippled just because it doesn't have the 2.1 update; it's crippled because of Android 1.5, and I want a fix.  All the bells and whistles of a new 2.1 platform would be awesome, but what would really be better is making sure the phone works the way it's supposed to.

Oh yeah, and I asked in the beginning of this thread not to troll on my thread but since that's all you seem to do in this forum I knew it was just a matter of time before you attacked mine.

Journeyman

infamousjax wrote:

Actually Mr. Troll - my phone _is_ crippled.  I'd go as far to say that it's still not ready to be released to the public.  You mentioned all the things that it CAN do but however failed to mention that it does not do these things consistently.  You also didn't mention the CDMA lockups, UAM (unwanted airplone mode), non-accuarate GPS readings, and overall just a general buggy operating system.

Look at it this way:  We spent a lot of money on our phones, and understand that our "phone" is much more than just a telephone in this day and age.  We rely on our phone for emails, internet browsing, picture taking, and much much more.  Since Sprint didn't seem to take the time to make sure this device functions the way it was advertised and since I'm paying top dollar for an unlimited data plan, I think I should be privelaged to able to express my concerns.

In no way am I saying that my phone is crippled just because it doesn't have the 2.1 update; it's crippled because of Android 1.5, and I want a fix.  All the bells and whistles of a new 2.1 platform would be awesome, but what would really be better is making sure the phone works the way it's supposed to.

Oh yeah, and I asked in the beginning of this thread not to troll on my thread but since that's all you seem to do in this forum I knew it was just a matter of time before you attacked mine.

Amen brother. 

Fubie

N1 bound!
HTC Hero and Sprint

The Not Right Now  Red Headed Step  Child Android Phone™ on the Now Network™.

Journeyman

infamousjax wrote:

All electronics are going to have quirks & issues. Anyone with technology experience understands that. These are human made devices. They are going to be far from perfect. However, I think it's flawed to think that Android 2.1 is going to be a general panacea for all your device ills. Keep in mind that the updates could quite easily disrupt previous apps, have conflicts with the hardware device, cause other issues with the handsets, as with many computer updates this does frequently happen.

I look at this this way, I'm not trolling. I'm giving you the benefit of someone whose dealt with technology a long time. However, impatience, ignorance, & labeling people as trolls isn't going to make 2.1 appear any faster. As I said before, "Sprint will get it to us WHEN IT'S DONE." You can put up 20 different request for Android 2.1 updates. You can call Sprint, do online chat's with reps all day.

As you found out with your next post, you got the same answer from Sprint. "Early Spring 2Q." They are playing it close to the vest & that's the only answer anyone is going to get. Period.

Every single device on the Sprint roster has some sort of issues. Some are worse when the development team screws up. Sometimes, it is what it is. We hope for the best but honestly nothing is really certain when it comes to technology.

Case in point, 4G. 4G was supposed to bring incredible high speeds. If you are very close to the tower, you do see a nice speed bump. However, as Leo Laporte of the TWiT network discovered as he tried to live stream on 4G, it really was no more than 3G plus. It was bout the same speeds in downtown Austin as a stable 3G connection. There wasn't any speed advantage to be found. Even Sprint is thinking about supporting LTE in the future because Wi-Max isn't living up to it's potential. There is what you think it will do and what it will actually do. The same applies with the phones.

No amount of your complaining and lecturing of people asking questions will make the questions stop.  People want the update.  Sprint is holding it back. Customers have every right to demand better.

Journeyman

Well, the good news is VZW Droid users are now getting 2.1 in limited availability as of today 3/30

bad news is we're not using Droid nor are we on VZW.

Journeyman

Engadget: Verizon begins Android 2.1 update rollout for  Motorola Droid

http://http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/30/verizon-to-start-android-2-1-updates-to-motorola-droid-own...

Ok... Enough is enough.  HTC is working on the update... Sprint is working on the update... How long realistically does this take for the two companies to get this right.  According to the article above Droid Customers will start receiving OTA updates as soon as today!  I have always been (for the most part) a happy Sprint Customer, but this is why (in my opinion) that Sprint is the nation's 3rd largest cell provider is because they are slow to innovate, and slow to re-act.

Sprint... Get your act together and lets get it in gear!

Journeyman

Well, they have never deviated from their timeframe of 1H2010. They narrowed it down to early 2Q210, but have not missed their target date yet. The problem is if they get it out and it still does not work right, or worse. That's when Sprint will have a full fledge riot on their hands. So, I hate to say it, but that would leave them no other choice than to push it back again. That would be a PR nightmare for them though, so let's hope not for everyone’s sake. If it does get pushed back again, you've got four choices, wait until it does come out, keep running 1.5 if they never push 2.1 out, root your phone and get a custom ROM, or switch carriers. I cant speak for everyone with a Hero or Moment, but I just switched to Android from an Instinct and anything is better than that steaming pile of a phone.

Message was edited by: HunterA3

Journeyman

Sprint is a fortune 500 company.  HTC is a pretty big company.  You would have to assume that each of these companies could devote at least a team of 25-100 people per company to this task.

Sprint is just trying to get people to buy their new EVO phone and not buy an outdated phone like the Hero or Moment.  (My opinion) Sprint is sitting on this OTA.

Journeyman

I'm not saying that all state of the art electronics should be flawless.  I certainly understand that bugs are always going to be there, and it can take a long time to perfect a device and make sure everything runs smoothly.  But the way this is being handled is terrible, and I'm sure a lot of other Sprint users will agree with me.  Sprint doesn't recognize that their devices are majorly flawed; and that's just not right.  It really is more than just a "quirk", it's a major problem that disables users from the basic functionality of the device.

Somebody's got to step up and have a voice of reason.  If nobody does, Sprint will look out and think that there is nothing wrong; and nothing will be done to fix the problem.

And, for what it's worth, you are trolling.  You do the same thing in every thread: argue on Sprint's behalf saying that everything is just 'hunky dory' when it's really not.  In all honesty, I really do appreciate your technical and professional opinions, but not you, or anyone else is going to stop me posting until I get the answers that I, and the community truly deserve.

Journeyman

I want the 2.1 update as soon as possible myself.  I've had a little taste of it and it tasted good...  I want more and I want it yesterday.  However, I would like to avoid getting food poisoning if at all possible.  (Since I seem to be digressing into food metaphors, I think I'll continue.)

Now...  Say somebody asks Jack to make them a sweet potato pie.  Jack's never made one before but he's got a friend who has.  His buddy Tom has the general idea on how to make said pie.  Jack's had some experience baking apple pies and can make one heck of a crust but the filling is horrible.  Tom's pie crust would make you gag but the seet potato filling that boy can create has the capacity to make certain bodily functions no longer controllable (in a good way, that is).  In walks Steve.  Steve can do some of the best design work Jack and Tom have ever seen with the top crust of a pie.  I mean we are talking some beautiful, scrumptious looking stuff here.  Individually, they're liable to send you to the hospital but together they might have a shot at making one seriously awesome pie.

(Now keep in mind, they've never collaborated on this particular kind of pie before.)

In walks the boss.  "Well guys, here's the deal.  I need the best dang sweet potato pie this company has ever made.  I want you to use my kitchen and my specially shaped pie pans.  Think you can do that?"  All nod in agreement.  -Boss:  "Good!!!  Oh, one more thing.  I need 30 million of them, each identical to the last, in 2 weeks.  Thanks."

The previous story was complete fiction and is in no way based on any real people (as far as I know anyway).  It is utterly ridiculous, fantastically exaggerated and was meant to be.  However, it's not far off from what you get with the development of a fairly new OS platform.  Especially when everybody and their dog is trying to make it proprietary in some way to their own hardware.

Dang I'm hungry...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat