cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

Highlighted
Journeyman

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

I want the option to remove applications we will never use, like Sprint TV, Sprint Football, Sprint NASCAR, Asphalt 5 game demo or game demos at all, Amazon MP3, sprint Navigation, these are taking up valuable memory real estate and I would like to install different apps, but cannot because my phone is on 2.1 so I cannot install or move to the SIM card.

I don't really care if they are initially installed, but I'd like the ability to remove them.  I know there are other methods of removing them like Titanium backup which requires me to root my phone, but I'd really like to have an official means of removing them.

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

I agree.  Sprint has no right to tell us what we can do on our own phones that we paid for.  Maybe they do to an extent, but blocking us from removing icons (or apps alltogether) is crossing the line.   I suggest the Gingerbread 2.3 to allow us this capability (I'm sure it does), but I have a sneaky feeling that Sprint will alter it to not allow that to happen.

Wizard

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

Most these apps are basically advertising to get you to buy the full product. Is it no different then buying a Dell or HP PC filled with bloatware or Installing Windows that includes Internet Explorer.

These apps will always be included in the phones the same as PC systems BUT if you want to get rid of them then it's a simple matter of rooting your phone and removing the bloatware. Just so you know the amount of space these take up are generally small unless you do a install like the Nova apps where it downloads a 80Mb file for the game to play. Before download the Nova game is only around 250Kb.

Also if you do not want to root and don't want the bloatware apps then I would suggest a Nexus phone as it is just Android and no bloat.

Journeyman

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

ALynch40 wrote:

Most these apps are basically advertising to get you to buy the full product. Is it no different then buying a Dell or HP PC filled with bloatware or Installing Windows that includes Internet Explorer.

It is entirely different from PC bloatware. On the phones, you can't even stop these things from running - as for removing them from your device, no chance, Who knows what data these processes are collecting? They are for marketing purposes, after all.

Wizard

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

If you want to see what the permissions of the bloatware apps are you can simply go to Settings>Applications and see what they are doing and have access to. If it that big of a deal then simply root your phone and remove them. Just because you root doesn't mean you have to change ROM's you can simply do it to remove bloatware.

Do I think we should have the option to uninstall? YES. Do I care they are on my phone? NO. They will start up and once unused for a time then the OS reclaims any recourses used by these apps so they don't affect anything.

timseal wrote:

ALynch40 wrote:

Most these apps are basically advertising to get you to buy the full product. Is it no different then buying a Dell or HP PC filled with bloatware or Installing Windows that includes Internet Explorer.

It is entirely different from PC bloatware. On the phones, you can't even stop these things from running - as for removing them from your device, no chance, Who knows what data these processes are collecting? They are for marketing purposes, after all.

Wizard

Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

Rooting can be dangerous.  There are so many instructions out there and they are very hard to understand and follow.  Can rooting be done for something very specific or will it cause major hardships?  I learned that once a phone is rooted, in any way, then the phone will not be able to receive updates from Sprint.

ALynch40, do you know how to root?  Specifically to remove these unwanted apps?

Wizard

Re: Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

Rooting is fairly easy and not as dangerous as you would think as long as you read and follow the instrusctions.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=713

Above is a section for the EPIC and yo will find how to root, ROMs and more. Be warned the people on the site can be A$$es but the site itself has good information.

I rooted my EVO then a week before the last OTA I unrooted back to stock no problems. It's not PERMA  thing. you can always go back.

EpicThunder wrote:

Rooting can be dangerous.  There are so many instructions out there and they are very hard to understand and follow.  Can rooting be done for something very specific or will it cause major hardships?  I learned that once a phone is rooted, in any way, then the phone will not be able to receive updates from Sprint.

ALynch40, do you know how to root?  Specifically to remove these unwanted apps?

Wizard

Re: Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

What I need to know ALynch40, if I were to root to remove the apps, will I be able to revert back to stock without the apps returning?  If I were to root to remove the apps and decide not to return back to stock, will I still be able to receive updates from Sprint?  Got the site saved.

Wizard

Re: Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

If you return to stock then you would have to use the stock ROM and it would place the apps back on your device I'm sorry to say.

Some rooted phones have had no issues geting the OTA whiles others do. I'm not sure about your phone on this one without researching.

EpicThunder wrote:

What I need to know ALynch40, if I were to root to remove the apps, will I be able to revert back to stock without the apps returning?  If I were to root to remove the apps and decide not to return back to stock, will I still be able to receive updates from Sprint?  Got the site saved.

Journeyman

Re: Petition to remove useless apps from "OUR" phones

I agree, I rooted my phone merely to remove all the apps I could not otherwise.  Other than that it is still stock Sprint rom.  I'm not getting the update since it will revoke root...besides some of the other roms on XDA are just plain cool.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat