cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please people, WHERE is "NOT" Live Search

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please people, WHERE is "NOT" Live Search

Most of us know about Where. And it does do more than Live Search...except the "ONE" thing that those of us who are wishing we still had Live Search wants

And that is when you find what you're looking for, you press one button and Sprint Navigator immediately opens and the NAV lady starts "telling" me in turn-by turn directions how to get to the place that I just found from where I am right now.

Where and every other app like it that I've found, launches Maps or something similar and I have to look at a map and read directions on how to get there. Not very convenient while driving.

If there is a setting to make Where auto launch the NAV software and take me to where I want to go then I have not found it. If it can't, then it is NOT as convenient while driving around and needing "voice turn-by-turn" directions.

I know that I can save what I find to contacts, then open and find the contact, then click on its address and that will launch NAV, but my oh my is that a pain in the @$$.

I also know everyone that is suggesting Where and the like are trying to be helpful, and it is appreciated. BUT please read "WHY" we wish we had Live Search still. It's because of its integration with our Sprint Navigation software, not because it's pretty and does a lot of stuff.

Also if you know of a way to make Where launch Sprint Navigator instead of Maps please let us know. Would love that to be possible.

Please, no offence at all meant by any of this...

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Please people, WHERE is "NOT" Live Search

I didn't know that Live Search does that.  I never use Sprint Nav or any Nav application. So for me Where is just like Live Search.

Message was edited by: slbailey1

Journeyman

If you want Live Search, get a Windows Mobile OS device.

Journeyman

slbailey1 wrote:

I didn't know that Live Search does that.  I never use Sprint Nav or any Nav application. So for me Where is just like Live Search.

Message was edited by: slbailey1

Yeah NAV on my phone is great. I live in a very large, spread out city (actually the area is two large cities with lots of small towns smashed between and around them) so having the ability to be voice directed to anywhere I want to go is like every one of those places being my old neighborhood. And so far when I've traveled for vacation or business my NAV has guided me around those cities as though I live there too. I wouldn't want to be without NAV again. It's one of those "how did I get by without this" kind of things for me now. And since it comes at no extra charge on my plan why not use it?

Just a question. You have a great phone like the Hero, and are interested in the cool features of apps like Where and you don't use NAV?

When I'm in the city that I live in, a map is fine I guess, because once I see it on the map I kind of know where it is and how to get to that general area. I can always pull the map back up when I get over there and see a little better exactly where it is. But if I'm in a city, or on the way to a city that I've never been, there's nothing like the NAV lady "telling" me while I drive to get into the right lane and in one point five miles turn right on whatever street and my destination will be on the right. I can't imagine being in a new city trying to drive, avoid crashing and look at the little map on my phone while looking for a street I have no idea where it is, or which side of the street my destination is on.

PLUS, in larger cities the NAV tells me where traffic and construction issues are and how to get around them.

Journeyman

JohnDoe wrote:

If you want Live Search, get a Windows Mobile OS device.

I've never had a WinMo device before. With everything that I've read on it though, it seems too clunky and crashy. That's always scared me away.

But I did have Live Search on my Samsung Instinct. And that was one of the best features of the phone. In fact that is one of the few features that kept me on the phone for a year, despite Sprint doing everything possible in their power to make me hate the phone...

Journeyman

I live in a small town and I don't travel.  If I need to go to a location I don't know, I always have someone to drive me.  So, I don't need a nav application.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat