cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint doesn't care about 2.1 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint doesn't care about 2.1 upgrade

It seems to me that Sprint is basically just turning their back at their loyal customers.  All of this buzz going around about the 2.1 update recently and NO admins or mods have the courtesy to respond to a single inquiry.  I know they said Q2, and its only the middle of March - however if you google 'sprint android 2.1 update' almost every cell phone blog (which most are reputable) have slated the 2.1 update coming at the end of THIS month!  Numerous sprint employees on other sites have validated this information.  Do any of the forum moderators back those notions up here?  Absolutely not.

Verizon is releasing their 2.1 update for their Motorola Droid starting tomorrow at noon.  And here we are again, left AGAIN in our competitors dust without so much as a simple status update or an official statement disclaiming or proving all of this recent buzz that's been going on for weeks now.

Sprint - if you want to be on top, you need to do better... you have the best prices and a damn good network to go with it.  But the way you are handling this makes you fit in at 3rd best under AT&T and Verizon.

TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS BETTER.

And I know that probably 70-80% of Hero and Moment owners could care less about an update, or even know that one is in the works of being brought to them.  But for that other 20-30%, and for the cell phone junkies and devs alike please spare us a little courtesy.

22 REPLIES 22
Journeyman

Re: Sprint doesn't care about 2.1 upgrade

What on earth? What do you want them to say?

They gave us a time frame. What more do you want from them? It's not finished yet.

Journeyman

I want them to throw me a bone.  And trust me, it's finished.  They are holding back for marketing reasons.

Master

infamousjax wrote:

I want them to throw me a bone.  And trust me, it's finished.  They are holding back for marketing reasons.

Taking out the fact that I am a Sprint Employee... I am a retail employee and have no information on release dates other than the official Early 2Q2010 timeframe.

Sprint has already thrown several bones, the original launch timeframe of 1H2010, the announcement of skipping 1.6 and 2.0 in favor of going straight to 2.1, and the latest update for release in Early 2Q2010. Sprint easily could have said nothing at all and just release the update when it is done, but instead have decided to give a rough timeline for release. A more fixed date will be announced one the device team knows that the update is complete, all applications work as they should, and that the update mechanism works. We don't know if the update is going to be OTA or if you are going to have to use a computer.

Just because Google finished the 2.1 kernel, that doesn't mean that every device works on the same kernel drivers or that overlays such as HTC's Sense UI will work on the new version as they did on the old version. Maybe the camera driver for the particular component was custom and the dependencies were changed in the new software, meaning it has to be rewritten for the changes. Also you must take into account that Android 1.5 didn't natively support CDMA networks. So both the Moment and Hero had to have custom CDMA interfaces coded for use. Android 2.1's native CDMA interface could have entirely different syntax and so it must be rewritten to interface and have the device function. We really don't know exactly what has to be changed, rewritten from scratch, updated, etc. for an upgrade from Android 1.5 to 2.1.

Why should we trust you? You are a random poster on an online forum. Why should we believe you when you simply say "trust me"? What qualifications make it so that we should blindly trust you over the official timeframe? You claim they are holding it back for marketing. What possible marketing reason would they have for holding back a software upgrade? An entirely new device, yes I can see waiting to launch it at the right time; but a software upgrade for an already launched device where people are complaining left and right about not having it?

Which devices currently have 2.1 in the U.S.? The Nexus One which launched with it. The Droid is supposedly getting an upgrade from 2.0 to 2.1 today (we will see). Other than that however, none of them have 2.1 on them now. So that leaves the HTC Hero (Sprint), HTC Hero (GSM G2), HTC Droid Eris, HTC Dream (G1), HTC Magic (MyTouch 3G), Motorola CLIQ, Motorola Backflip, Motorola Devour, Samsung Behold II, and the Samsung Galaxy. So that is 10 devices not running Android 2.1, compared to one currently, and one supposedly in the immediate future. Not to mention I probably missed one or two going through the list in my head here.

Journeyman

You forgot the Samsung Moment in that list

Journeyman

The Eurpean Samsung Galaxy (Spica) got its 2.1 starting yesterday in Germany.  It is starting to roll out.  People need to be patient.  It will get her around the end of March first of April according to the "rumored" but not "officially" contradicted leaked email.  But one thing is for sure.  The email stated that the TP2 would get its WM6.5 update 2 weeks before the Hero followed by the Moment. Sprint just stated that the TP2 is available 3/19.

Message was edited by: dayvedayve

Journeyman

infamousjax wrote:

And trust me, it's finished.  They are holding back for marketing reasons.

Sorry, buddy. You are making stuff up and trying to pass it off on us as the truth.

The only thing you did there by lying was destroy any semblance of credibility you may have had.

Journeyman

Im merely a user of the sprint services and devices. Generally satisfied, I do feel that sprint has a duty to their customers and should put out some sort of info about this. Being a hero user, I'm heavily in tact with my device, and do wish to see a 2.1 soon. I came to sprint due to Apple's mms update promise which they took forever and gave no specific date. Sprint is in danger of losing alot of business if the customers don't get what they're expecting. Not to say that it isn't a great service provider but, the 2.1 update or even just a simple date would really take us over the top. Thanks.

Journeyman

I just purchased a moment phone and I was talking to the salesman and she said that there is no such thing as a android update and its just people talking about nothing.So my question is where is the info about the alleged update coming from is it fact or fiction?

Journeyman

The update is fact. Sprint has confirmed it months ago. Your sales rep is *******.

We just dont know when it is coming exactly.

Message was edited by: izzyks

Journeyman

sprint answered my email this morning about the update.  Thank you for contacting Sprint about the Android 2.1 update.   I understand that you want to know about the availability of Android 2.1 with HTC Hero.  We are actively working on having the Android 2.1  platform available to our Hero and Moment customers over the coming  weeks.  Please look for more information coming in April about Android  2.1 platform for Hero and Moment.    You will find product details on Sprint.com and in promotional  information at our retail stores. We encourage you to watch news reports or monitor our web site to see if a change in availability occurs.   Thank you for writing to us.

Journeyman

Thanks for spamming every 2.1 thread with your groundbreaking form letter reply that everyone has already heard about 100 times.  Very insightful.  You're an inspiration to us all.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat