cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint doesn't care about 2.1 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint doesn't care about 2.1 upgrade

It seems to me that Sprint is basically just turning their back at their loyal customers.  All of this buzz going around about the 2.1 update recently and NO admins or mods have the courtesy to respond to a single inquiry.  I know they said Q2, and its only the middle of March - however if you google 'sprint android 2.1 update' almost every cell phone blog (which most are reputable) have slated the 2.1 update coming at the end of THIS month!  Numerous sprint employees on other sites have validated this information.  Do any of the forum moderators back those notions up here?  Absolutely not.

Verizon is releasing their 2.1 update for their Motorola Droid starting tomorrow at noon.  And here we are again, left AGAIN in our competitors dust without so much as a simple status update or an official statement disclaiming or proving all of this recent buzz that's been going on for weeks now.

Sprint - if you want to be on top, you need to do better... you have the best prices and a damn good network to go with it.  But the way you are handling this makes you fit in at 3rd best under AT&T and Verizon.

TREAT YOUR CUSTOMERS BETTER.

And I know that probably 70-80% of Hero and Moment owners could care less about an update, or even know that one is in the works of being brought to them.  But for that other 20-30%, and for the cell phone junkies and devs alike please spare us a little courtesy.

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Journeyman

figured i'd hit a few of the threads people made complaining about the update in case someone doesn't read every post made complaining about it, seeing how there's like hundreds.  sorry for your inconvience.  i'll be sure not to make you grumpy anymore by trying to shed some light on subjects that not everyone has the information to.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Infamous ,

I could not agree with you more. I believe there are a lot of people out here that do care about the upgrade and with what we spend on there phones, They should get us the upgrade in a reasonable amount of time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I've actually seen the 2.1 on a hero. The only thing was that it wasn't the official version so it had it's downsides and disadvantages. But if Htc has released the 2.1 version of android for sprint's hero, then we have no choice but to wonder what the wait's for. I'm not the most informed about this topic, but do feel that the wait is just painful and immature of them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess you can say I've been a loyal customer for many years to sprint.  I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for updates for my android hero, I'm sure it has something to with google and not all sprints fault.  But as a computer programmer I would like to have my phone up to date on the latest os for google android.

I'm not sure if sprint realizes this, but as far as their stock has been performing im sure that they do. But, other phone companies have been lowering there monthly fee's. For example at work we have a plan with At&t unlimited minutes and unlimited data plan for 42 dollars a month.  Sound nice, and I wonder whats stopping me from switching? 

overall I am satisfied with the service I have been getting from sprint, I have not once asked them about an android update.  But now its time, I WANT THE LATEST VERSION OF ANDROID OS.  Or else I might just buy a the nexus one (which I hope it will work after reading some reviews)  without a contract and just go with the plan at work or find another network. 

I'm sure I will be getting a call soon about renewing my contract, hmmm should I renew it, or leave sprint like alot of people have already. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Isn't is possible that the exact opposite is true?  That Sprint actually DOES care about the upgrade, and that's why it has not been released?  Meaning, maybe they care about not putting out an update that will totally hose up your phone.

As a computer programmer, surely you must realize that it isn't as simple as accepting a software package from a vendor, and putting it out for the general user base in a production environment.  I, too, am a programmer, and I know this.  We never put anything out without testing it.

Also, isn't HTC the one to be pointing fingers at?  Sprint doesn't write the code for Android.  They wrote a couple apps for it, not the entire source.  Not even HTC wrote the entire source.  They just wrote code specific to their phone(s).  So, Sprint has to accept the software, load their apps, test it on their network, report any findings back to HTC, wait for new package, lather, rinse, repeat.

Seriously people, stop whining.  It'll come when it comes.  I, personally, would rather wait for a working piece of software.  If it's that big a deal to you, take a little time out of your day, root your phone, and load one of the 2.1 based ROM's out there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The argument that we are waiting for a working upgrade and that it will be somewhat timely would only hold water if we did not have the history of Balckberry, Instinct, Mogul, Touch, Moment, etc. problems that Sprint has had with their so called well thought out well tested updates.  They usually end up full of bugs after ridiculously long wait times, blamed on making sure they didn't have bugs.

As for recomending loading cooked ROMs on the devices, some people do not want to risk voiding their warranty to fix things Sprint should be taking care of.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I get that you're irritated.  That's fine.  You're absolutely right that you deserve a working phone.  I personally haven't had any issues with my phone, but I do get that you're unhappy with yours.

I still think you're barking up the wrong tree.  Sprint only provides a tiny portion of the software.  HTC provides the version of the OS that is loaded on the Hero.  Unless you think that it's the Sprint NASCAR app that's holding up the rollout, whining at Sprint day after day after day doesn't make any sense.

I'm sure Sprint is testing.  I'm sure there will be bugs that will be found after release.  End-users always use the software in ways that no one can predict, and find issues that no one knew about.  That's just the way software development works. Again though, Sprint does NOT write the OS that runs the phone.

Does anyone really think that Sprint is just sitting on the update?  That they're just waiting for enough complaints, and then they're going to release it?  With the constant subscriber loss that Sprint suffers quarter after quarter, don't you think they'd put the release out if they had it if they thought it would keep even a thousand subs?

Seriously, all the whining does is make you look like a bunch of whiners.

You have 3 choices here:

1)  Stop whining, and wait for the official release from Sprint.

2)  Root your phone, and load a new ROM.

3)  Get a new phone/new service.

Those are the options.  Deal with it and move on.

Sprint is still within the "first half of the year" and the "early Q2" that they gave as an EXPECTED release time frame.  And don't give me the whole "May is MID Q2 not EARLY Q2" mumbo jumbo.  That's rubbish.  You're squibbling over nothing there.  That's complaining just to complain, not a valid argument.

Also, not rooting because you think Sprint should fix it is like saying you're not going to let someone else do free work on your car because you think your dealer is responsible.  Who cares as long as it gets fixed?  Besides, rooting your phone doesn't mean that you can't load the official release when it comes out.  If you do that, how is anyone going to know if you rooted your phone?  You won't do it because you like complaining.  I know because we can smell our own.

Ok, I'm done now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

like i said, "I'm sure it has something to with google and not all sprints fault".

I'm not going to comment to much about, programming, testing, and who's fault it is.  My Hero, if I'm not mistaken, has Android 1.5, and they are on 2.1.  hmmm.. sound like going form windows 3.1 to windows 7.

We all have choices, and im sure Sprint does care about there customers. But, I might just jump boat, and see Android 2.1 from a different carrier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint decided to go from 1.5 to 2.1 and we should be glad about that, except it's kicking their butts and we're stuck in the dark ages. So what no one else has gone from 1.5 to 2.1! VZW has the Motorola Droid that started out on 2.0 and now has 2.1, AT&T has the iPhone and all the carriers beat Sprint to the WM6.5 update and only Sprint neglected their HTC Snap on 6.5 standard, Ozone and Dash 3G got upgraded.

So disgusted customers on other carriers had options besides "wait" or "leave", Sprint customers...not so much...still just wait or leave. Blame whom ever, defend whatever and define the quarters how you please...it's a day late, a dollar short and will repeat with the EVO without something like a miracle.

Highlighted
Journeyman

just do what they want you guys to do get an evo, hero 2 or moment 2 (and all 3 have passed through FCC ) theirs your 2.1 upgrade.. that will cost ya

Highlighted
Journeyman

Imagine that Android 2.2 is coming soon.  Guess I got to goto another carrier to get my android updates before I pass away.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat