cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's Update on Android 2.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint's Update on Android 2.1

A while back we announced our plans to update our Android devices to 2.1 in the first half of 2010. I just wanted to follow up with a quick status. The 2.1 update is currently being tested and things are going very well so far. We’re still targeting the first half of 2010 and if things continue to go smoothly we should have the update well within that time frame. I’m sure there will be a lot of questions about procedures and more exact time-frames but for now I won’t be able to say much more. I just wanted you all to know that things are still on track.

2/16 update:

Community members, we just received word this morning that Sprint expects to upgrade from Android 1.5 directly to 2.1 by early Q2 of 2010. We are currently working through the options for upgrades with the manufacturing partners. We will continue to keep you informed in this forum as new information becomes available.

Message was edited by: izzyks

145 REPLIES 145
Patron

Re: Sprint's Update on Android 2.1

Thanks for the update.  I didn't realize 2.1 was a company-wide product endeavor.  Interesting (and challenging).

Journeyman

Thanks for the update. So so so looking forward to the update.

Journeyman

Can you give us any info on if these devices are running much better/faster or the same.  Also if battery life is improving a little?? THX

Wizard

Thank you for the update!!

As a developer, I do understand that you want to fix all the bugs before getting the product out!!

Journeyman

@tooner---You're getting me excited!!!  Haha

Journeyman

I can’t say much in detail related to the actual testing other than the fact that we’re making great progress. Better performance/response and extended battery life are always part of what we try to achieve with every device update. 

Journeyman

Wow, I don't know why some of you are geting excited.  If you read his wording, it just went from Sprint WILL have a 2.1 upgrade by 6/30/2010, which is sad since the GSM folks look to be getting theirs in March, to Sprint PROBABLY might have a 2.1 upgrade by 6/30/2010.  So this so called update just gives Sprint more wiggle room for when they fail to meet another promised timeline for upgrading a phone.

Journeyman

Hero Zero,

That's not it at all. This is a Sprint employee involved in the test process letting us know that things are currently on-trak. No one can ever promise with absolute certainty when a release will be ready. It depends on how well the testing goes and how much risk management is willing to take. This was not an official Sprint Brass press release, this was someone on the inside throwing us a bone that things are going well. I'm glad Sprint has a cautious test and verification process. Again, the actual release date depends on how well testing went and what management are willing to risk in terms of bugs. I personally want a well tested release.

Cheers

Journeyman

Great! I am glad Sprint is taking their time and making sure everything works before releasing 2.1 because it would suck to have a bunch of problems with it if they rushed it out.

Journeyman

Much like how they took their time releasing the Hero and the Moment.  There were no problems with either of those phones.  The fact is earlier reports by Sprint Employees in this community were that it would 1H 2010.  Now the employee who started this thread says it SHOULD be done 1H 2010.  It amazes me to no end how you folks enjoy having Sprint string you along, disappoint you, and be more than cheerful to accept it.

It is obvious that while this community could be a great place for people to voice their displeasure with being shafted so that maybe Sprint would be able to figure out while they continue to hemorrhage subscribers.  Instead the majority of people here drool for the tiniest tidbit of repeated info.  The only reason this post was made was to change the wording from will to should.  If you don't get that, you need to work on your critical reading skills.

Journeyman

WELL said HeroZero. I concur 100% I'm sure there are less than 1% of people that caught that little deviation from the OP. It doesn't really matter too much to me as I'm sure you're also among those that don't just sit around with an advanced device for "looks" and "Street Cred."

I get an advanced device to customize it and upgrade it how I see fit. Hence all the custom ROMs available. Anyone that doesn't take advantage of what's out there isn't very...I don't want to be too harsh, so I can't be honest, but let's just say ...slow.

I won't allow the suits to control me and dictate when my device will perform "up to par" with the latest and greatest. I'm among the many that take matters into his own hands and actually "own" my device.

The kernel is out Sprint. You're too late. Next.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat