cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's Update on Android 2.1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint's Update on Android 2.1

A while back we announced our plans to update our Android devices to 2.1 in the first half of 2010. I just wanted to follow up with a quick status. The 2.1 update is currently being tested and things are going very well so far. We’re still targeting the first half of 2010 and if things continue to go smoothly we should have the update well within that time frame. I’m sure there will be a lot of questions about procedures and more exact time-frames but for now I won’t be able to say much more. I just wanted you all to know that things are still on track.

2/16 update:

Community members, we just received word this morning that Sprint expects to upgrade from Android 1.5 directly to 2.1 by early Q2 of 2010. We are currently working through the options for upgrades with the manufacturing partners. We will continue to keep you informed in this forum as new information becomes available.

Message was edited by: izzyks

145 REPLIES 145
Highlighted
Journeyman

HeroZero - This is the only response I plan to give on the subject. You are wrong.  There is no conspiracy and there is no word-play going on here.  There is an update coming and our plan is to have the 2.1 update in the first half of this year.  My update was to let folks know that we're making great progress.  This update isn't some veiled message about a potential delay.

We have made some mistakes in the past and one of those mistakes was not listening to our customers like we should be.  This community is a great way to keep our customers better informed about the topics that are important to you.  We announced our plans to move to 2.1 and it's been a while since we've communicated our progress so I wanted to provide an update, it's really that simple.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's code for July 1st 2010.. I'm on to you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh my God!!!!  All day at work, my phone kept alerting me that I had new Gmail.  Each and everytime, it was someone, usually the same person, complaining that tooner used the word "should"!  Maybe it was just a word he chose to use and should have said 'will".  But whatever!!!!  Come on people, or come on to the one thats complained the most and stirred up a mess all day long.  Get a grip!  If you don't like Sprint, then move on and shut your pie hole!!!!!   I've been a loyal and very satisfied Sprint customer for almost 13 years!  I not only believe the 2.1 update will come by 1h 2010, I strongly believe it will happen much sooner.  The testing IS going very well!  I not only base my opinion on what tooner has stated, but also on statements from a personal friend of mine who is very close to the internal workings of Sprint.  So, don't be surprised at all if the update comes no later that April 1st, if not sooner.  Now, I've vented and stated my opinions, so I feel better.  Now I can go to sleep and not have nightmares about angry people on this forum!! 

Highlighted
Wizard

tooner,

I appreciate your information on the subject and please don't be discouraged from people being ultra negative towards your posts or you.  There are a lot of disgruntled people out there, but there are also a lot of people, like myself, that really enjoy direct and honest messages from Sprint Employees.  It is nice to hear anything about the process and until now, no one really knew if Sprint even had the 2.1 software yet, but now we have all learned that they do and they are/have been testing it for some time now.  This is very, very encouraging because Sprint's testing is the last hurdle, then it comes to our phones.  Now, tooner, tip us to that Supersonic rumor! 

I look forward to 2.1 and all that it brings to our Heroes and/or Moments.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I work for a software company.  I'm HAPPY to hear the testing is going well, and that the code is in TESTING and not DEVELOPMENT.  That means we COULD see the update at any time.

I'm not trying to read anything else into what tooner is saying.

That said, I'm excited about 2.1 on my Hero.

Highlighted
Journeyman

NOTE: This thread is descending into personal rants, attacks and so on. Let's keep the thread open and discussion on topic and proactive. Share your opinions in a constructive manner. We're here to make wireless better for everyone.  Thank you for following the Community guidelines.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank-you for the update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

VERY HAPPY Sprint customer since 1999!  Thank you for your update and hard work, 2.1 should be, sorry will be great.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@izzyks.  Thank you for stepping in here and trying to put an end to this mess.  Yesterday was ridiculous with the amount of constant negatives, mainly from one individual.  I hope and trust that its over.    Also, thanks to you and tooner and any other Sprint employee who trys to answer questions on this forum.  I appreciate it.  13 years with Sprint and I plan on at least that many more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a question about the 2.1 update.  I read that Google was going to allow programs to be stored and run from the SD card.  Is that feature included in Android 2.1, or is it going to be a future Android update?

Highlighted
Journeyman

glad to see sprint is really committed to the Android platform.  My Hero will patiently wait for the update that is if I don't jump on the Nexus one if it comes to Sprint that is.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will repeat with slightly different words what someone decided should be deleated.  If this gets deleted than it is blatantly obvious that the only posts that get to stay are those prising Sprint.

Either this entire topic is simply redundant because no new information was given over that given in other posts by other Sprint employees, or there is a reason the wording has changed from will to should.  Everyone is free to read into it what they will, but I am starting to see ghosts of operating systems past where Sprint has done the exact same thing.

Message was edited by: HeroZero

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat