cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best product to use to clean the screen on your phone?

Highlighted
Patron

What is the best product to use to clean the screen on your phone?

Screen gets greassy a lot. It is the first time I use a touch screen...What is the best product to clean it? is there a sprint store online or locally where I can buy clear film protection sheets? Thank you in advance for your answers!

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: What is the best product to use to clean the screen on your phone?

Short answer: glass plus.

Long answer:

Probably the most important thing is do not use anything with ammonia in it, like windex.  Ammonia can destroy the glass coatings and make them foggy. I have been using glass plus as a screen cleaner for more than 10 years without a single bad incident.  Plain old water will work, too.

Whatever you use, don't let it get inside the phone.

Here's how I do it:

Lay the phone flat, screen up. Cover the speaker and buttons with cloth (I use my wiping cloth over speaker and hand over buttons).  I put my glass plus in an old hair spray bottle (emptied and washed out really well, then filled with glass plus) that makes a real fine mist.  I've had it for as long as I can remember - don't even know if they sell this stuff anymore, but the bottle is perfect for this.  It's called White rain non-aerosol hair spray.  Laying it flat and spraying a fine mist assures it won't flow down into the cracks on the side.  However you do, that is important: keep the cleaner out of the phone!  Then wipe with a circular motion.  I use a 3M microfiber cloth, same as I use for my camera lenses.  I've cleaned it dozens of times and there is only one tiny scratch and you have to look real hard to find that. I don't know whether that came from cleaning (probably not) or rubbing against something.

I just timed myself - took 11 seconds to clean the screen and it looks good as new.

I don't use any film covering, I'm just careful with the phone.  I carry it in a soft cloth lined case and clean the case out frequently.  I've had the phone since the day Best Buy released it and like I said above, there is only the one barely visible scratch.  My wife couldn't even find the scratch until I pointed it out to her.  Whatever they did to protect this screen, it seems to work very well.  At least it's working for me.

Message was edited by: portent

Journeyman

Hi -

There's a wonderful product out that I've been using for years that a lot of people don't know about. It's alcohol free and comes in pre moistened pads or a spray and a special cloth combo .  The company is called iklear. I like the pre moistened pads for their convienience. I use them  on my computer's LCD, smartphone, GPS, Palm Pilot....If you live on The West Coast (I don't but pick them up every time I'm there)  Fry's electronics carries the whole line or you can  go to www.iklear.com or call 800 505 5327. I don't know why that it's not more front and center. It's a great product. Also some of the big box stores are now carrying alcohol free wipes for computers in a big tube like thing for about $6.00 0r $7.00 but haven't tried them and yes one should use alcohol free solutions on their screens in my opinion. Hope that this helps.

-Silverbird

Journeyman

Also there's a very thin, laminate type of screen protector made for a variety models by Zagg. Best Buy carries it for about $20.00. It's made of a  high tech material and is guaranteed for life. Recommended by different experts. The only thing is that it's tricky to apply. For $8.00 Best Buy will do it for you. They've got it down. Easy to clean.

Journeyman

I just use a piece of microfiber towel...nothing else and it cleans fine....

Journeyman

Seido.com has screen protectors for the Hero. I have one on mine, I think the Hero has a pretty durable screen, but I figure better safe than sorry. My wife doesn't have one on her Hero and all is well with her screen, but I am a little rougher on things than she is. I think you can get two of them for the price of a single one from Best Buy.

Journeyman

The iklear comes with a microfiber towel. I guess that they're saying the same thing as you but they also have a solution if needed that from my experience can  help with grease......

Patron

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWERS! YOU ARE THE BEST!

Journeyman

YOU'RE MOST WELCOME

Journeyman

damp TP and dry TP. if you dont already have one, I recommend a good screen protector: www.boxwave.com has some good static kind~

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat