cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Is our HERO?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Where Is our HERO?

I along with most of the hero owners feel duped.  We raced to pick up the 1st android device on sprint to show our support toward telecommunication progression and sprint continues with their latent efforts in maintaining our happiness.  Is staying in the loop too much to ask?

1st I feel we got a second rate deal.. we got hero shipped with "cupake" while the rest of the world is on "donut".. wtf? and sprint is rolling with the "bedrock" software update approach towards it.. allegedly talking about updating Q2 of 2010? get the F* outa here.. Why does verizon get a 2.0 edition and we cant even get 1.6 on tap? not only that but sprint the only carrier that does not allow OTA upgrades ( wireless device system updates) which is as simple as clicking a button. in 2009 you still have to head down to a sprint store and wait 6 F*n hours to get your upgrade or download it thru  a mal-configuired desktop software program that is not compatible with all operating systems. In both retrospect sprint is getting a huge #FAIL as far as their telecom logistics are concerned.  I hope Deutsch Telekom buys sprint out sooner than later because their whole system sucks.  As I was told the only way for things to actually be heard is to sound off. so I hope you guys do make them aware that were not all stupid consumers.

Message was edited by: superkai

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Where Is our HERO?

I kind of agrea that being left out of the 1.6 sucks. But HTC just posted twitter yesterday that the reason we haven't seen 1.6 is because they are skipping it and giving us 2.0.  I for one see this as a smart move on their part.  They have to rewrite sense for both and they are so close time wise and so far apart in what they bring that they shouldn't waste time with 1.6.  I've had a couple HTC phones before, and I can tell you bassically it's a pain for early adopters but after the first update roles out your phone becomes awesome.  I don't think much of this has to do with sprin thtough.  The OTA update thing I've heard is as much about not being google branded and sense as sprints network.  Also no one knows if updates will happen OTA yet.  If T-Mobile buys sprint it would probably be good in a lot of respects, but sprint has been getting a heck of a lot better in the last two years and I would hate to see them not get a chance for a comeback as far as I'm concerned by price/what you get they are the best or second best for large carriers in the US tied or better than T-Mobile.  AT&T horrible netowkr too expensive, Verizon too expensive4 no phones (as of today).

Journeyman

HTC did rewrite Sense for 1.6 and it didn't seem to take them long considering it was just released this month.

http://www.htc.com/europe/product/tattoo/specification.html

Now, there could be a variety of reasons why it didn't come to the Hero. What it means though is that, according to theory, we shouldn't have to wait long for a 2.0 update. All Sense is is a collection of programs. Once those programs are updated for 2.0 it should be released. It's just like when any other operating system is released and programs have to be patched. The only reason I can see it taking a bit longer for Sprint to get it is because it may use a completly different CDMA implementation.

Journeyman

Patience patience patience  If they waited to release the hero with 2.0 you would probably complain as well.

Journeyman

Complain, no...  Unless they had promised it by a particular date and not delivered on that date...

However, I also would not be a Sprint customer yet...  I jumped from my former carrier (US Cellular, 15 year customer) to Sprint, not to get the Hero, but to get any Android phone. (No coverege at ALL here for T-mobile.  In fact, you can't port ANY phone number in this entire *area code* to T-mobile, and number portability was essential for me.)

If Sprint were *just* releasing their first Android phone this weekend, knowing what I know about the Droid coming to Verizon on the 6th, I would probably have waited a week to compare the two before deciding...  Weighing Sprint's history of being much more open with their phones than Verizon, their MUCH better price, the ability to change phones yearly w/o penalty, and the somewhat feeble hardware of the Hero and Moment (As compared to the Droid's Cortex processor) against Verizon's plan prices (over 50% more than Sprint), the Droid with superior Hardware, some really cool features (the magnetic "mode" sensors, ala BlackBerry) and Android 2.0 shipping on the phone, as well as having MUCH better coverage (In my area), being "locked in" to my choice of phone for 2 years (for best price on a new phone), and Verizon's history of locking out features on their phones (obviously not on the Droid)...  With Verizon I would have the option of not using an "unlimited" plan, however, since I could add my Google Voice number in as a "Friend and Family" and route all out-going calls through my Google Voice, reducing the number of minutes I use monthly by about half, and with the really great Google Voice app for Android, I wouldn't have do do any "hokey-pokey" to use it, it just integrates fully with the dialer.

All that being weighed (in my case), and if both the Hero and/or Moment were running Android 2.0 on the less capable hardware, poorer coverage area, as compared to Verizon and their Moto Droid, I would probably still choose the Sprint option for serveral reasons.

1.  I can fix the coverage area (for the most part) by purchasing a home CMDA repeater system for around $200 for a mobile unit for my car, and $250 for a home unit, or go with the Sprint supplied AIRAVE unit for $100, plus $5/month (I still haven't decided on which way to go for home use, since the repeater unit would allow EVDO data rates on the phone, and the AIRRAVE is only 1X, but at the same time, *assuming* that the WiFi issues are resolved with the Hero, or don't exist with the Moment, I could have even faster data rates through WiFi, then again the AIRRAVE carries a $5/month fee to use.

2.  I left US Cellular and have a high amount of dis-respect for their policy of disabling GPS and selling it back to customers, which Verizon has done with every model of phone they have ever released up to the Droid.  I tend to hold grudges against companies like this for a long, LONG time, so I just don't feel right about going to another carrier that have the same policies that made me leave my former carrier that I was with for 15 years.

3.  We *all* know that there will be better hardware running Android by the end of 2010 when I will be eligible for an upgrade at a reduced price, and even with purchasing $450 worht of repeater systems, I'll have $150 "in the bank" as compared to Verizon's plan prices.  The next year I won't have the $450 in repeater expenses, saving even more, and I can get a new phone again.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat